Job application video & interview

I'm applying for work by several mountain station hotels in national parks where I will work as either a host for the tourists, in the restaurant or as a receptionist.

I think being a host would be most fun with more variety of things to do.

They want me to make a 1 min video in the application. How do I make a good impression? I have already replied to a few questions and don't want to repeat that. It's short but seem to be an important part of the application.

Overall I don't think I have much to impress them with because I don't have any experience of the job, no special education for it. I guess I doubt I have the qualities that they want and I feel a bit worry that it could be too intense or exhausting working as a host.

In an interview with them, how can I relax allowing myself to be as I am but also show that I'm the right person for them?

30 minutes ago, noomii said:

I'm applying for work by several mountain station hotels in national parks where I will work as either a host for the tourists, in the restaurant or as a receptionist.

I think being a host would be most fun with more variety of things to do.

They want me to make a 1 min video in the application. How do I make a good impression? I have already replied to a few questions and don't want to repeat that. It's short but seem to be an important part of the application.

Record with the camera at eye level. Do not put the camera low and pointing upwards at your face. If you did that already, record those answers again. 

Overall I don't think I have much to impress them with because I don't have any experience of the job, no special education for it. I guess I doubt I have the qualities that they want and I feel a bit worry that it could be too intense or exhausting working as a host.

Imagine I’m a host for a restaurant and my beliefs about the restaurant I’m welcoming you into are;

This restaurant doesn’t have anything to impress you.

This restaurant doesn’t have any experience, and has no education for cooking. 

Here, at this restaurant, we doubt we have quality and we worry that it could be too intense or exhausting to do so.

Rather than believing discordant thoughts, acknowledge the discord doesn’t feel good to you any more than the same beliefs about the restaurant would feel good to any potential customers you’d be greeting as a host. In all honesty, you wouldn’t even eat there. 

These beliefs self referential thoughts - believed, and are for introspecting to dispel. Don’t confuse these beliefs with having anything to do with any thing, any one, or any place, or any opportunity. Beliefs are only beliefs. 

In an interview with them, how can I relax allowing myself to be as I am but also show that I'm the right person for them?

Discordant beliefs are discordant beliefs. Simply be honest about that. 

That you can relax & allow yourself is a belief. You are already yourself. Some thoughts feel discordant, some feel aligned - to you. Be honest about that.

1 min video in the application. How do I make a good impression?

Record it & watch it before submitting or sending it. When it’s a ‘10’ to you, when it feels the way you would want to feel upon being welcomed in to the restaurant, submit / send it. 

Imagine the restaurant is going to impress - it’s going to blow your mind. 

Imagine they have lots of experience and are actually educated about cooking. 

Imagine the quality is unsurpassable and effortless as everyone working there puts feeling first. 

23 hours ago, noomii said:

On interviewing for any job.  Push through your doubts and go for it!  Worst thing that can happen is you don't get the job, which just puts you right back where you are now, so nothing is lost.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  I'm self-employed now but when I used to interview for jobs most of the time I would get the job.  It's not bad to lack experience, what they want is to see someone with a positive attitude and a can do it attitude.  Because they can train you if you're willing to learn.  Believe in yourself.  A genuine positive attitude is very attractive in an interview.  You don't want to overdo it though or it comes off as insincere.  But I think what's attractive is someone who is willing to learn and take personal accountability to take ownership of that job.  It's like a character thing.  I like to say every employee is actually self-employed -- it's best to think about it this way.  The worst thing any employer wants is someone who just dials it in, no passion, no personal accountability, no growth, lazy, dependent, has to be told what to do, etc.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Do you mean physically strong, mentally, emotionally, rejection wise such as with sales…?

physically like I sell icecream they do these icecream tricks you see on YouTube 

mentally too 

he told me not be shy bec I appear that way

Edited by Isagi Yoichi

for coding & software engineering services message me on discord

@Isagi Yoichi

Sweet, share a link! 

Physically… of course exercise / weights / lifting, or even no weights like sit ups, push ups etc. That’s how I started back at 200 pounds. 100 sit ups and push ups each day. (25 each every few miles of biking.) 

Mentally strong is basically clean diet, and the default or un-obscured ‘mind’, or, ‘mind’ without any emotional discord or ‘weight’. So, expression & alignment of any discordant thoughts. 

‘Shy’ is indicative of ‘carrying’ some discord. A withdrawing as opposed to an engaging. Might be some self referential or limiting beliefs that could be explored & cleared up. 

On 2/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, Phil said:

Record with the camera at eye level. Do not put the camera low and pointing upwards at your face. If you did that already, record those answers again.

When I said I already had replied to a few questions I meant in text form, not in a video.

I tried yesterday but I felt worry and didn't remember the words I wanted to say. I thought recording a short video like that would be easy but it wasn't for me 😂

Imagine I’m a host for a restaurant and my beliefs about the restaurant I’m welcoming you into are;

This restaurant doesn’t have anything to impress you.

This restaurant doesn’t have any experience, and has no education for cooking. 

Here, at this restaurant, we doubt we have quality and we worry that it could be too intense or exhausting to do so.

Rather than believing discordant thoughts, acknowledge the discord doesn’t feel good to you any more than the same beliefs about the restaurant would feel good to any potential customers you’d be greeting as a host. In all honesty, you wouldn’t even eat there. 

These beliefs self referential thoughts - believed, and are for introspecting to dispel. Don’t confuse these beliefs with having anything to do with any thing, any one, or any place, or any opportunity. Beliefs are only beliefs. 

Discordant beliefs are discordant beliefs. Simply be honest about that. 

That you can relax & allow yourself is a belief. You are already yourself. Some thoughts feel discordant, some feel aligned - to you. Be honest about that.

Record it & watch it before submitting or sending it. When it’s a ‘10’ to you, when it feels the way you would want to feel upon being welcomed in to the restaurant, submit / send it. 

I'm going to be a host for the people coming for hiking and sleeping there, not a host inside the restaurant. I meant that I could work in the restaurant as a waitress, if I'm not going to be a host. What you wrote is still relevant 🙂

It feels discordant to think that I should change all of these things about me, that I should be mindful. It seems like I have a huge pile of things that needs to be changed about me and that this thread is just one more heavy thing I'm putting on my shoulders. Feels like a lot of effort because I'm already working on a lot of other things.

It feels better to focus on what feels loving right now instead of thinking I should change.

Imagine the restaurant is going to impress - it’s going to blow your mind. 

Imagine they have lots of experience and are actually educated about cooking. 

Imagine the quality is unsurpassable and effortless as everyone working there puts feeling first. 

Do you mean in the same way as I imagine the restaurant I can imagine how I want myself to be? Saying that I have lots of experience or that I'm very educated when I'm not feels off.

My job coach encouraged me last week to imagine how I want my life to be with all senses, especially how I want my work experience to be like. So that's something I'm practicing. I could also do that before the interview. 🙂

38 minutes ago, noomii said:

When I said I already had replied to a few questions I meant in text form, not in a video.

I tried yesterday but I felt worry and didn't remember the words I wanted to say. I thought recording a short video like that would be easy but it wasn't for me

Type out a script first. Revise it as needed. 

39 minutes ago, noomii said:

It feels discordant to think that I should change all of these things about me, that I should be mindful. It seems like I have a huge pile of things that needs to be changed about me and that this thread is just one more heavy thing I'm putting on my shoulders. Feels like a lot of effort because I'm already working on a lot of other things.

It feels better to focus on what feels loving right now instead of thinking I should change.

I’m not suggesting you change anything about yourself. Matter of fact I’m suggesting that is not actually possible. 

Interpretations, what thoughts are focused upon, behaviors, actions… these can be changed and already are. There’s nothing to any of these but change. 

You are loving / what feels loving. 

43 minutes ago, noomii said:

Do you mean in the same way as I imagine the restaurant I can imagine how I want myself to be? Saying that I have lots of experience or that I'm very educated when I'm not feels off.

You can imagine focus on what you want to, what resonates, and interpretations that resonate. Habits, interpretations, actions & behaviors will change accordingly. If it feels better to add the interpretations that you are doing it, making the changes, then add it. There’s no harm in it. 

I’m not suggesting that you lie. 

43 minutes ago, noomii said:

My job coach encouraged me last week to imagine how I want my life to be with all senses, especially how I want my work experience to be like. So that's something I'm practicing. I could also do that before the interview. 🙂

Yes! Do that. 🙂

On 2/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

On interviewing for any job.  Push through your doubts and go for it!  Worst thing that can happen is you don't get the job, which just puts you right back where you are now, so nothing is lost.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  I'm self-employed now but when I used to interview for jobs most of the time I would get the job.  It's not bad to lack experience, what they want is to see someone with a positive attitude and a can do it attitude.  Because they can train you if you're willing to learn.  Believe in yourself.  A genuine positive attitude is very attractive in an interview.  You don't want to overdo it though or it comes off as insincere.  But I think what's attractive is someone who is willing to learn and take personal accountability to take ownership of that job.  It's like a character thing.  I like to say every employee is actually self-employed -- it's best to think about it this way.  The worst thing any employer wants is someone who just dials it in, no passion, no personal accountability, no growth, lazy, dependent, has to be told what to do, etc.

Yes. I don't need any experience or education, I can learn as I go! I get the impression that they care more about finding the right person that loves nature. Some of these places are only reached by hiking, skiing or boat so it's not for everyone.

To be honest I think I'm lazy, dependent and barely feel any passion. A lot of beliefs behind those words. It's not like I'm applying for this job because I genuinely want to 😂

I have been asked if I want to work at a hotel in their restaurant, from late June until October.

I just don't know if this is right, I don't know what to reply to her and I need to let her know very soon. I feel like I didn't really think this through. 

I know a place one hour from there that is much bigger that I would rather go to because there's more people, more fun things happening, I can work with more fun things outside and a grocery store that they don't have where I got a job offer. 

Where I got the job offer I will have a cheap rent for my room, no space to make my own food and I eat at the restaurant every day. 

I just applied to the bigger place yesterday. I called them today to ask how soon I can get feedback about my application, but the receptionist told me to send a mail that she will send to the ones who are responsible for it and they will get back to me sometime this week.

I guess I could say yes to the job offer and then later say no, but that doesn't feel right.

I know there's also a bus going inbetween these places but I would rather be a part of the bigger place. I feel pessimism about how I might feel isolated at the smaller place, I have had enough of that. 

Seems like I was a good chameleon when talking with the hotel. "It's important that you're stress-resistant" Of course! 😊

I honestly feel so easily overwhelment about things I think I should do and I feel almost constantly worry about what I need to do, even though I don't have a job and don't have much I need to do daily. 

I have no idea how this will go, this is a full time job.