Is meditation really helping me?

fopylo

I just did my morning meditation session and it didn't go so well (also the one yesterday)...

I tried to focus on my breath and instead got caught in thoughts about the breath, myself, and feeling, instead of actually feeling the breath. This was quite frustrating, was feeling discord in stomach and head while meditating.

Brings me back to those times when I slowly started quitting after experiencing those consistencies.

@fopylo It's a time that you are allowed to stop thinking, that you don't have to follow the thoughts. Tell the thoughts you're off the clock, you aren't subject to their tyranny and wild goose chasing just then. You GET TO focus on breathing, relaxation in the body, the feeling of aliveness inherent. Just for 15 minutes first thing in the morning. If there are thoughts about it going good or bad, you don't have to follow them or engage with them, just like any other. Then get up and write down how you want to feel that day. 

Youtube Channel  

@Mandy I just feel that it is forced and that focusing on the breath is a "changing the way things are" and getting caught up in the story of me meditating on the breath...

It's mostly due to the ambiguity of feeling and that it always involves some thought with the felt sensation that makes it hard to isolate the feeling and follow its track.

Thoughts claim so hard the belief of myself doing things, and the moments of really feeling like myself and honest with emotions is quite rare

That's what chatgpt had to say:

It's not uncommon to experience challenges in meditation, especially when trying to focus on the breath. Instead of trying to force a change in your experience, consider observing your thoughts without judgment. Acknowledge them, then gently redirect your attention to the breath. Acceptance and patience can be key in cultivating a more peaceful meditation practice. If you find it difficult to isolate the feeling, try simply observing the overall sensation without getting caught up in the narrative. It's okay to have moments of difficulty; the practice is about bringing your awareness back to the present moment.

22 hours ago, fopylo said:

I just feel that….. it is forced and that focusing on the breath is a "changing the way things are" and getting caught up in the story of me meditating on the breath...

What about “I think or believe that…..”?

This way there’s ‘room’ left for how these thoughts or beliefs feel. 

On 1/17/2024 at 2:46 PM, fopylo said:

@Mandy I just feel that it is forced and that focusing on the breath is a "changing the way things are" and getting caught up in the story of me meditating on the breath...

It's mostly due to the ambiguity of feeling and that it always involves some thought with the felt sensation that makes it hard to isolate the feeling and follow its track.

Thoughts claim so hard the belief of myself doing things, and the moments of really feeling like myself and honest with emotions is quite rare

Well you could believe that you have volition or that you have none, but neither is the case. 

Youtube Channel  

@Phil

16 hours ago, Phil said:
On 1/17/2024 at 9:46 PM, fopylo said:

I just feel that….. it is forced and that focusing on the breath is a "changing the way things are" and getting caught up in the story of me meditating on the breath...

What about “I think or believe that…..”?

This way there’s ‘room’ left for how these thoughts or beliefs feel. 

Oh, I see. Thanks for lighting this up for me.

When believing that I feel all kinds of those descriptions, I can acknowledge they are actually beliefs, and then leaving room for the feeling to be, with no descriptions, correct?