What to take to calm the nerves/microphone suggestions

My manager and director are both very critical.

I never liked presentations in front of large crowds and my voice often would shake, but recently it’s come to a whole different level when my manager or director are present.

Is there anything I can take to calm down the nerves? Should I take a shot of vodka or something?  I’ve tried valerian before, but it didn’t work last time - should I up the dose?

I was also thinking, since I am presenting during a video call meeting, is there a microphone/headset I could purchase that would make it harder to hear me? That would tune out the shakiness somehow? 

Edited by Rose

I would ground in the body, in presence / feeling, and take deep breathes from the stomach. Then when speaking feel the vibration of the voice primarily in the stomach. Shaky voice is usually from shallow breathing. 

As far as the manager & director, keep in mind they work for the same company and essentially you’re on the same team & share the same goals. Your success is their success and vice versa. 

Anticipatory anxiety wise… letting thoughts go & ‘returning’ to feeling / presence is heavenly. Certainty is only ‘found’ in feeling. 

If you were to take something, L-theanine & pharma gabba come to mind. Also, little or no caffeine or sugar might be helpful as well. 

Mic wise, there isn’t per se a mic for that as far as I know. Effects like compression etc might compress the sound of the voice making it seem less shaky, but that’s probably more set up than you’re looking to get into, and it probably isn’t needed. 

Good luck, hope it goes well. Be mindful of your awesomeness. 

I'd question why you care so much. What's the worst that could happen? Maybe the world would open up for you if worst case scenario you lost this job. Maybe if you made a mistake they would have to examine their own need for perfection. Maybe that's not on you, maybe it's never been your responsibility. Maybe you can love yourself anyway even when you make mistakes, even when you appear shaky and nervous. 

As for supplements I'm a fan of lemon balm and ashwagandha. They seem to help over long periods of time, rather than a pill to get you through the one off meeting or presentation but I wouldn't discredit that. The nerves don't just start the day of the meeting, there's momentum at play.

Youtube Channel  

10 hours ago, Mandy said:

What's the worst that could happen?

They record those presentations. Worst that would happen is that everyone at work will think I am weird and there would be a record of that. Like imagine your worst moment in life recorded for everyone to see. 

5 hours ago, Rose said:

They record those presentations. Worst that would happen is that everyone at work will think I am weird and there would be a record of that. Like imagine your worst moment in life recorded for everyone to see. 

If it happened for another person from your work, do you think everyone else would think and be talking about the person. And what about yourself? Would you care so much? Someone being nervous and wierd in a presentation, its not super exciting really 😄 

But i get you, its "easier" said than done. 

I heard some fighters contemplate losing their match, so they end up being completely at ease with it before the match starts. Maybe sit with the question? Find out how to let go of and be at ease with whatever you are most afraid of. 

7 hours ago, Rose said:

So if someone else had a terrible presentation because they were nervous and you watched the record of it, how would you feel? 

What if people are free to think whatever they like? What if the stuff we think we hide so well is obvious, written on our faces? What if people already know the juiciest gossip about those who have the most interesting lives, and they really don't care? What if we aren't hiding anything from anyone? What if by letting you be as you are, you become a catalyst for everyone else to let go of their 50 pound transparent glass mask? 

Rebecca Black has a platform to say and perform as she likes because her most embarrassing moment going viral. Source is the Fairest of them All. 

Youtube Channel