Procrastination

noomii

I've been procrastinating a lot for a long time. But almost the whole month of July and right now have been extreme.
I've been feeling so much doubt about not knowing what to do/where to go and on top of that thinking I feel too much overwhelm to do what I really want (I've had a bunch of free time now).
I've been feeling extremely bored, passive, rotten, heavy, burning sensation of stress and I've been isolating so much.
Suicidal thoughts have appeared a lot and they still do. My focus is more now on wanting to question them.
It really have felt and looked like the same day have been repeating itself.

I did escape for a few days last Saturday. I went to a day-party and camped at the same day and after that I went to some friends for circling (mindfully exploring our connection with each other) for two days. I crashed feeling fatigued the whole day after just wanting to lie down and cry. It filled me with joy.
Now I'm back feeling stuck procrastinating again feeling stressed because I think I have to decide what to do/where to go NOW. I absolutely hate staying where I'm at and I feel suffocated staying here. 
This Monday I'm going back to the activity I do so I feel stressed about doing things I want to do now.
This September that activity ends and I have no plans on what to do, I don't know what I want to do then and that I've procrastinated on too. I have no work at all then. I feel safe and it will work out somehow. Avoiding almost everything necessary for me is not really helping that. I do wish I could die instead of facing the fear of responsibilities. 

I've been looking at all the feelings of doubt, overwhelm, resistance about staying where I am and most of the negative emotions that have come up.
I did try emotional scale for some time but it felt too heavy to do so I stopped it.

I think the procrastination have been a way of unconsciously regulating my feelings by avoiding overwhelm, doubt etc. It does feel like I can't control the procrastination when I'm in it, I can't force myself to do anything. The only thing I can do is to be aware of what I feel.

Writing this feels heavy, simply because I need to think about what is actually happening with me. Feels like something is trying to stop me from over-thinking all the time and that's why it feels hard to do anything where I need to use effort with thinking. That's a reason to why I procrastinate doing anything, too.

Overwhelm, stress and doubt comes up when doing most activities that requires planning, decision making and most things requiring a lot of thinking.  

Trying to figure out by thinking for a very simple thing like where I want to go out camping in nature makes me feel a lot of doubt and overwhelm. It makes me feel completely blocked and I simply cannot think more about it.

Also I feel incapable of doing the things I truly want to do, I can do them but they feel too overwhelming. I want to go far out in wilderness and go to other countries but the ideas that come up with what I mostly want, feels too overwhelming for me because it takes a lot more planning and a lot more feelings of overhelm come up that I need to take care of. So I'm mostly focusing on things that feels easier emotionally. 

I have earlier written down what I want in my notes but that doesn't seem to help much because I haven't let go of the feelings about it.

I know a good next step would be to actually use a dream board which I'm also procrastinating on like everything else. 

But most of all I just want to relax completely and let go. That feels more important than anything. Feels like I'm making everything MUCH more complicated than it is. Though what I've shared here in this post is just a small part of everything I'm concerned about.

Now another day have passed with procrastination and rumination. I could've even planned tomorrow but I DIDN'T?!  I feel so exhausted, I've not had a break from this shit for the whole day. The weather here felt special as it does in august. It felt like I wasted it because I was just lost in thoughts. I believe I've wasted all of these months.

I want to receive some clarity on this or support of any kind!

Thank you

Edited by noomii

procrastination (n.)

"a putting off to a future time; dilatoriness," 1540s, from French procrastination (16c.) and directly from Latin procrastinationem (nominative procrastinatio) "a putting off from day to day," noun of action from past-participle stem of procrastinare "put off till tomorrow, defer, delay," from pro "forward" (see pro-) + crastinus "belonging to tomorrow," from cras "tomorrow," a word of unknown origin. 

3 hours ago, noomii said:

I could've even planned tomorrow but I DIDN'T?! 

"I could have planned tomorrow." I could just plan tomorrow. 😂 Hope you see the humor in how I'm twisting the meanings of  "planned tomorrow." If it is not tomorrow, it's not to late to plan tomorrow. I haven't planned my tomorrow. *Looks to the side* Tomorrow I will move my vacuum OUT OF THE HALLWAY. Oh wait. I could do that now. *Moves vacuum back to where it belongs.* Oh damn it. I stopped procrastinating on moving the vacuum but I still haven't planned my tomorrow! Again, hope you see the humor.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” - Jesus

Trying to figure out by thinking for a very simple thing like where I want to go out camping in nature makes me feel a lot of doubt and overwhelm. It makes me feel completely blocked and I simply cannot think more about it.

Start small, then build up. "I want to enjoy the nice weather." Go for a walk at sunset. Walk outside and look at birds. It does not have to be a huge camping trip. "I want to rest." Make time for morning meditation and drop the thoughts that you gotta be doing something. Revel in it. Write down a few small things that make you happy to do, that aren't that time commitment involved. Make a point to do three a day. The more you do what you want to be doing the more clear you'll feel more clear on what it is you want to do next or on the bigger stuff. 

Tomorrow is only an idea we made up to make today even MORE badass. 

Youtube Channel  

15 hours ago, noomii said:

I've been procrastinating a lot for a long time. But almost the whole month of July and right now have been extreme.
I've been feeling so much doubt about not knowing what to do/where to go and on top of that thinking I feel too much overwhelm to do what I really want (I've had a bunch of free time now).
I've been feeling extremely bored, passive, rotten, heavy, burning sensation of stress and I've been isolating so much.
Suicidal thoughts have appeared a lot and they still do. My focus is more now on wanting to question them.
It really have felt and looked like the same day have been repeating itself.

*The forum is not proper support for ideation. Don’t delay or hesitate, google ‘suicide prevention hotline’ and talk with someone now. They are trained to help and will. 

What’s actually desired isn’t death, and isn’t relief from life, but is relief from conditioning / conditioned thoughts… from the discord of beliefs as it relates to false ‘ego’ identity. Death is a belief innocently created or adopted via conjecture, which arises from the ignorance of the truth of Yourself. Relief is desired & is felt from inspecting the discordant thoughts & realizing why some thoughts are discordant is because they seem to be about you, but aren’t / aren’t true about ‘who’ you actually are.  

The aversion from questioning or inspecting the discordant beliefs or believed thoughts, is the procrastination. It is not feeling as yourself, and attempting to proceed again & again in spite of how this feels, and again & again experiencing the futility of this. The relief is never found in any proceeding, but in inspecting what you already have so to speak, the discordant beliefs about who you are.

You can’t and don’t actually procrastinate, because you are not in time, time is an appearance of you. In inspecting, or actually attempting to locate or point to the you that is in time it is realize this cannot be done because this separate self does not actually exist. This is why the thought about yourself procrastinating feels so discordant. The separate self, seemingly, only can exist in a past or future. Never in the present. 

I did escape for a few days last Saturday. I went to a day-party and camped at the same day and after that I went to some friends for circling (mindfully exploring our connection with each other) for two days. I crashed feeling fatigued the whole day after just wanting to lie down and cry. It filled me with joy.
Now I'm back feeling stuck procrastinating again feeling stressed because I think I have to decide what to do/where to go NOW. I absolutely hate staying where I'm at and I feel suffocated staying here. 

Notice there wasn’t per se an ‘escape’, there was attention to perception & sensation, instead of on the discordant thoughts. This felt great and resulted in relief because the experience was connective, whereas the ‘nature’ of the discordant thoughts, inherently of being about being separate, are isolating. 

This Monday I'm going back to the activity I do so I feel stressed about doing things I want to do now.

Try to locate or point to the self which experiences a now and a Monday. Monday = now. The thought, ‘Monday’, as in ‘future’ arises and is believed. Then it is believed you are a separate self, in time. The discord is with the falsity of the thought, and not with an actual Monday. 

This September that activity ends and I have no plans on what to do, I don't know what I want to do then and that I've procrastinated on too. I have no work at all then. I feel safe and it will work out somehow. Avoiding almost everything necessary for me is not really helping that. I do wish I could die instead of facing the fear of responsibilities. 

If I might… what you actually want is to fully feel the fear… to then proceed with the rest of your life, without fear. That is self-realization. It is the pinnacle of Being. 

I've been looking at all the feelings of doubt, overwhelm, resistance about staying where I am and most of the negative emotions that have come up.
I did try emotional scale for some time but it felt too heavy to do so I stopped it.

Try again in the light or perspective that doubt & overwelment… emotions… aren’t feelings. Emotions are emotions. Feeling is feeling. Feeling is experiencing emotions. 

I think the procrastination have been a way of unconsciously regulating my feelings by avoiding overwhelm, doubt etc. It does feel like I can't control the procrastination when I'm in it, I can't force myself to do anything. The only thing I can do is to be aware of what I feel.

Likewise, it is most clarifying to be aware of which emotion is experienced. 

Writing this feels heavy, simply because I need to think about what is actually happening with me. Feels like something is trying to stop me from over-thinking all the time and that's why it feels hard to do anything where I need to use effort with thinking. That's a reason to why I procrastinate doing anything, too.

Thoughts effortlessly appear. That there is a you which needs to use effort with thinking… is the thought… that there is a you which needs to use effort with thinking. Look for that ‘you’. Look for ‘the thinker’. See that all that is actually experienced are thoughts about that ‘you’, or about there being ‘a thinker’. 

Overwhelm, stress and doubt comes up when doing most activities that requires planning, decision making and most things requiring a lot of thinking.  

‘Most things require a lot of thinking’ is a thought, a belief about, thoughts or thinking. Try to make a thought arise forcefully. See that this isn’t possible. Thoughts arise, appear, effortlessly. It (thought) is not a doing, because there is no doer (thinker). Thoughts about there being an efforter, a doer, a thinker… are discordant… because the thoughts are believed, but aren’t true. 

Similarly, the discord isn’t of trying to figure out. The discord is of the belief that you are ‘trying to figure out’… while the truth is that thoughts are arising ‘of their own accord’, effortlessly. 

Also I feel incapable of doing the things I truly want to do, I can do them but they feel too overwhelming. I want to go far out in wilderness and go to other countries but the ideas that come up with what I mostly want, feels too overwhelming for me because it takes a lot more planning and a lot more feelings of overhelm come up that I need to take care of. So I'm mostly focusing on things that feels easier emotionally. 

The discord there is “I feel incapable”. That isn’t actually true. There is the thought that you are incapable… and that thought feels discordant because it isn’t true. You are capable… capable of allowing thoughts to arise. This is the same as saying… you are capable of allowing what is, to be what is. What is, is that thoughts simply arise, and are not required to be believed, and can be inspected. 

I have earlier written down what I want in my notes but that doesn't seem to help much because I haven't let go of the feelings about it.

Inspect in the physical location sense, where you actually have the feelings… which you could let go of. 

I know a good next step would be to actually use a dream board which I'm also procrastinating on like everything else. 

Empty out by writing a nice long list of everything you don’t want. Then step away, go for a walk, listen to music, etc. Then later come back and write the opposites of each thing you wrote. Approach it like a crossword puzzle. Just an activity. 

But most of all I just want to relax completely and let go. That feels more important than anything. Feels like I'm making everything MUCH more complicated than it is. Though what I've shared here in this post is just a small part of everything I'm concerned about.

There also isn’t that ‘self’ which is making anything complicated. That also is a thought about a separate self which makes things complicated. The relief is in noticing there is the experience of that thought, but there is no experience of the ‘self’ that thought is about. That thought naturally, effortlessly arose. (And does not have to be believed). Inspect, and see why these thoughts are discordant vs assuming the thoughts are true. See that the thoughts aren’t jiving, aren’t true about, your actual direct experience of reality. Aka, liberation. 

Now another day have passed with procrastination and rumination.

Where is this ‘day which has passed’, which that thought is about? 

It is only the thought. There is no day which has passed. 

You are not in time. 

I could've even planned tomorrow but I DIDN'T?!  I feel so exhausted, I've not had a break from this shit for the whole day. The weather here felt special as it does in august. It felt like I wasted it because I was just lost in thoughts. I believe I've wasted all of these months.

I want to receive some clarity on this or support of any kind!

Thank you

It is, right now, fully within your power to flip the script on this discord, and love each and every arising thought. 

On 8/5/2022 at 1:46 AM, Mandy said:

procrastination (n.)

"a putting off to a future time; dilatoriness," 1540s, from French procrastination (16c.) and directly from Latin procrastinationem (nominative procrastinatio) "a putting off from day to day," noun of action from past-participle stem of procrastinare "put off till tomorrow, defer, delay," from pro "forward" (see pro-) + crastinus "belonging to tomorrow," from cras "tomorrow," a word of unknown origin. 

"I could have planned tomorrow." I could just plan tomorrow. 😂 Hope you see the humor in how I'm twisting the meanings of  "planned tomorrow." If it is not tomorrow, it's not to late to plan tomorrow. I haven't planned my tomorrow. *Looks to the side* Tomorrow I will move my vacuum OUT OF THE HALLWAY. Oh wait. I could do that now. *Moves vacuum back to where it belongs.* Oh damn it. I stopped procrastinating on moving the vacuum but I still haven't planned my tomorrow! Again, hope you see the humor.

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” - Jesus

Start small, then build up. "I want to enjoy the nice weather." Go for a walk at sunset. Walk outside and look at birds. It does not have to be a huge camping trip. "I want to rest." Make time for morning meditation and drop the thoughts that you gotta be doing something. Revel in it. Write down a few small things that make you happy to do, that aren't that time commitment involved. Make a point to do three a day. The more you do what you want to be doing the more clear you'll feel more clear on what it is you want to do next or on the bigger stuff. 

Tomorrow is only an idea we made up to make today even MORE badass. 

I wish it felt that easy. That's how I usually think "Just do it!" to just take action now. Most times I take the action (action as in starting to write down questions about what I want and how to go about it) right away but then I feel blocked by not fully feeling doubt or worry. With blocked I mean I start to "ruminate/over-think" and it feels like I just cannot proceed and need to take a break doing something easy to let go of the thoughts.

I might have ignored some emotions on the way...
Not fully feeling the doubt/worry/overwhelm/boredom makes it feel too difficult to actually do what I want.

I set an intention last month to first get in alignment before doing stuff. To let go of emotions first and if I felt any resistance I would just decide to do that thing later when I feel in alignment for it. But alignment never happened 'later'.
So I guess there was a lot more emotionally for me to let go of or maybe I need a different approach in how I do it.

I'm spending most days outside doing those things but it feels wasted when I'm not fully present. Sometimes I'm enjoying and being present.
All the things that feel effortless for me to do (like just going places close to where I live) are things that I don't want to do anymore because I've been doing them for so long because of feeling so much powerlessness about doing what I actually want to. 
Sometimes I've been doing what I want but with a lot of discordant emotions involved when taking action to do it and while doing it.
Sometimes I've felt in alignment while doing what I want, but that's not often.

Now I just want to let go of that powerlessness.

@Phil

Thanks for helping me notice the beliefs 😄

Is aversion an emotion? So it's more accurate to say that I'm experiencing aversion towards emotions, not procrastination?

So when I'm feeling stuck thinking I'm not able to take the action I want. I can be aware of how I feel in the moment. What is better to focus on if I continue to feel that stuckness and not able to take the action I want at all in that moment? I believe it gets worse when I expect the emotion/thoughts to disappear just so that I can take action.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:50 PM, Phil said:

Likewise, it is most clarifying to be aware of which emotion is experienced. 

Are the emotions on the emotional scale all emotions there is?

I clearly feel a lot of unworthiness and guilt.

It feels like I'm running all the time. I feel so much stress these days it feels so horrible. It's so counterproductive.
I'm running to avoid unworthiness and guilt. 
I'm running for a sense of feeling worthy (feeling good), doing things/living up to expectations about an idea of what is successful/worthy. However... My behavior/productivity is most of the time the opposite of that learned idea.

Might help me to just let go of all the thoughts telling me about how 'my cognition functions'. 
I just feel so bad about it and confused because I don't know how to have the same kind of cognition/mind as I used to. I have assumptions about what caused it and what I need, but I don't know. Everything feels harder and takes longer time to do. I clearly feel a lot of unworthiness about it because it feels so bad to think about how 'years' are passing by, I feel so unworthy when thinking I 'lack' knowledge/education when comparing myself to what other people do or educate themselves with. When thinking of that I'm trying to literally compensate by proving my worth bulldozing myself. That's also counterproductive. That's just me trying to run from unworthiness and burn out doing so.

I will most likely only experience the cognition/mind I want when I let go of unworthiness or guilt.

Is aversion an emotion? So it's more accurate to say that I'm experiencing aversion towards emotions, not procrastination?

Aversion is away from emotion… emotion being ‘something’ which is felt… and towards the activity for thought. The activity of thought would be about a me which is procrastinating. The discord of the perspective is that of a “separate self” which is in time. The discord isn’t always necessarily readily cognitively understood, but nonetheless, the discord is felt. 

What is meant by ‘aversion’?

In regard to the guidance of pain, such as upon touching a hot stove, removing the hand from the stove, is intelligence, and non-aversion. To continue to hold your hand on the hot stove, in spite of how it feels, is the aversion of the guidance of feeling, and the burn in doing so is what suffering is.

Just like pain, emotion is guidance. Aversion is the suppression of emotional guidance, and feeling the suffering of doing so, just like continuing to hold your hand on a hot stove. Aversion is the mental tendency to label and conceptualize feeling & emotion, vs feeling, listening to, and understanding the emotional guidance of source.

To avert away from the guidance of emotion, is to conceptualize the very ‘substance’ that the mind ‘itself’ is made of & seeks to feel, and is akin to holding your hand on the hot stove.

There is sometimes a tendency to continue to hold attention on the activity of thought, when the current thought, outlook, interpretation or perspective is discordant. In shifting attention to allowing the entire body, every muscle, to relax and sink into gravity, and breathing deeply & slowly from the stomach, the discord is less & less felt within just a few minutes. This is ‘taking your hand off the stove’. The longer you do this, the less the discord is experienced, and the more the true nature of feeling & intelligence arises. It arises naturally, like helium from a tank when the valve is unobscured.

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/aversion

So when I'm feeling stuck thinking I'm not able to take the action I want.

After relaxing & breathing from the stomach & allowing the mind to clear… it is clear the aversion already occurred by this point…

I'm feeling stuck

… therein, the emotional scale is helpful because ‘stuck’ isn’t on the scale. Stuck isn’t what’s felt… thoughts about a self being stuck are what’s felt, and there is real-time emotional guidance in that regard. 

What is better to focus on if I continue to feel that stuckness and not able to take the action I want at all in that moment?

Feeling breathing from the stomach. Relaxing. The thought about not being able to take action… no longer ‘being fed’ attention, or focused on, or presently believed, naturally disappears. 

Similarly, ‘continuing to feel that stuckness and not able to take the action I want’ is a discordant thought, experienced no & not ‘in a future’, and is about a self in time,  which can’t (take action). But that “self” isn’t the self, it’s a thought about a self, and that is what feels discordant, and that is what the emotional guidance is relaying. 

I believe it gets worse when I expect the emotion/thoughts to disappear just so that I can take action.

That “I” which is not being the emotion/thoughts - is “the separate self”. “It” doesn’t exist. YOU are what’s being emotion/thoughts. 

So the discord gets worse in believing you could make yourself disappear. Yourself is unspeakably amazing & awesome, and can appear as any thing, and as that thing, that thing can and inevitably will disappear… but you never come and go, and there will never be a disappearance of the true essence and nature of you / that you eternally are. 

Are the emotions on the emotional scale all emotions there is?

I’ve seems diagrams with hundreds of terms for emotions. The emotional scale from Abraham Hicks is just a preference, as it is a simpler in that it is a less conceptualizing way of communicating about emotion. It’s also laid out from bottom to top in a manor which addresses aversion from feeling back to feeling. 

I clearly feel a lot of unworthiness and guilt.

It feels like I'm running all the time. I feel so much stress these days it feels so horrible. It's so counterproductive.

A change in terminology & usage of the scale is life changing. It may or may not take time. 

(In accordance with going up the scale…) From unworthiness & guilt, express jealousy… of those who aren’t experiencing so much stress. We’re all in the same boat body-mind wise… feeling, emotion, perception & thought. In the admittance & reframing of expressing jealousy, then there can be the inquiry… well, what are these people doing that I’m not? And the value of recognizing aversion, relaxing the body, and breathing from the stomach is more realized. 

I'm running to avoid unworthiness and guilt. 
I'm running for a sense of feeling worthy (feeling good), doing things/living up to expectations about an idea of what is successful/worthy. However... My behavior/productivity is most of the time the opposite of that learned idea.

Only direct experience ‘teaches’. The words just point. Take 5 or 10 minutes when the ‘running’ is experienced and start at unworthiness & guilt, and express each emotion all the way up the scale. This is the opposite of the ‘running’… this is putting feeling first. Analogously, also from Abraham Hicks… it’s like plugging the vacuum in first… and then vacuuming. Lots of people vacuum real hard all day, but not much changes or actually gets done without it being plugged in. 

Might help me to just let go of all the thoughts telling me about how 'my cognition functions'. 

Yes. See that ‘my cognition’ isn’t actually a thing or perception or perceived. It actually is a thought. There isn’t a thinker… there are thoughts which arise, about there being, a thinker of thoughts. 

I just feel so bad about it and confused because I don't know how to have the same kind of cognition/mind as I used to.

That also is only the thought. It’s clarifying to actually attempt to point to “the thing” (cognition that I used to have). Then it’s noticed that is a discordant thought, and not because you lost something, because the thought isn’t true. 

Also consider, feeling & clarity are the same. It’s really, feeling-clarity. Feeling-clarity unobscured by that thought, is experientially speaking more of what’s actually wanted, which is feeling-clarity. 

I have assumptions about what caused it and what I need, but I don't know. Everything feels harder and takes longer time to do.

The relaxing of the body & breathing from the stomach is a slowing down, as opposed to the ‘running’. The slowing down is an allowing of the feeling-clarity. Also, in relaxing & slowing down, and using the scale each day… you’ll experience clearer, higher quality, more insightful, more aligned feeling - thoughts. 

I clearly feel a lot of unworthiness about it because it feels so bad to think about how 'years' are passing by,

It’s not that I don’t understand what you mean, or that I’m ‘trying to be nondual’… but that feels discordant because there is truth, and you are the truth, and the truth is not a separate self in time. Look around, all around. That’s you. You’re what’s appearing as the whole show. There isn’t actually time passing. You are not actually ‘in’ the body, in the separate sense of the words. Relax. Enjoy the show you are being. You’re not actually moving from here to there, you’re appearing, making it seem so - for you. To whatever extent it can be heard / received - I’m saying you’re being the whole show, the entire universe - for you. Rather than trying to determine if you are or are not worthy - notice the discord of the nature of the thought(s) - comparison to “other separate selves”. (Which don’t actually exist). 

I feel so unworthy when thinking I 'lack' knowledge/education when comparing myself to what other people do or educate themselves with. When thinking of that I'm trying to literally compensate by proving my worth bulldozing myself. That's also counterproductive. That's just me trying to run from unworthiness and burn out doing so.

I will most likely only experience the cognition/mind I want when I let go of unworthiness or guilt.

The thoughts of comparing & of therein, lack, are discordant because you’re actually infinite, appearing as all of what these thoughts are about. The admittance of the feeling of jealousy is freeing. If you want to learn something, you can. If you want to relax & focus on feeling breathing from the stomach for a few minutes allowing these thoughts to clear, you can. 🙂 

More so than letting go of unworthiness & guilt… in the recognition these are not ‘things’ you actually ‘have’… let go of the thoughts - about unworthiness & guilt.