Making an effort

Why does the ego want to stay the same. When i make music, or go the gym or do most tasks, there is resistance happening whenever i want to push out of the comfort zone. Sometimes trying out new things while making music would be really great and good things usually come from that, but why does it feel like a struggle. I always wan't the comfortable staying with what i know, not pushing myself towards greater things, maybe not getting what i want immediatly. Works same way with doing stretches in the morning as another example. Why the voice only wanting to do 3 reps instead of 5. Its not like its really more draining energy wise. 

A lazy ego.. that wants to succeed at the same time. An idiot??

Because that's what the ego is . It's literally made of resistance energy.  All of human life is basically a doomed to fail pointless attempt to resist reality from changing and make it freezed if you will . Just like the law of inertia In physics.

Getting out of the comfort zone and doing stuff thats gonna grow you is inherently painful and challenging. No pain no gain . No other way around it .

42 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Getting out of the comfort zone and doing stuff thats gonna grow you is inherently painful and challenging. No pain no gain . No other way around it .

From one point of view at least. The thing is, is there really a big challenge though? Its completely self-created. I'm sitting moving my mouse around in a music program, and doing what i know i don't feel resistance, but thinking of doing something that might not sound good initially, but might be giving in the end, i feel resistance. But are those movements with the hand any more difficult? Nope, its exactly the same, just how the situation is viewed. 

Some things like physical strain of course has its limits to what you start out with, but thats not the point here.

Edited by WhiteOwl

11 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

but thinking of doing something that might not sound good initially, but might be giving in the end, i feel resistance.

Let's say you want to bench press  A weight bench with 100 lbs..but you can't..then you feel resistance. Then you take baby steps starting to lift 30 ibs first ..you don't feel resistance because the challenge has been reduced .there is a function curve between resistance and challenge.  The more challenging the activity the more resistance you gonna feel .isn't that obvious?  And since thinking and making music are less challenging than sports on general then you feel less resistance .

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

Let's say you want to bench press  A weight bench with 100 lbs..but you can't..then you feel resistance. Then you take baby steps starting to lift 30 ibs first ..you don't feel resistance because the challenge has been reduced .there is a function curve between resistance and challenge.  The more challenging the activity the more resistance you gonna feel .isn't that obvious?  

I'm not talking about physical strain as i just wrote. The body has its limits, of course.. Thats not the resistance i'm talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

And since thinking and making music are less challenging than sports on general then you feel less resistance .

Defo not true in my experience, which is what the thread is about. But its just beliefs causing the resistance. Was hoping for some clarity on what that might be.

@WhiteOwl

The resistance felt is exactly as you said - ‘just how the situation is viewed’. Beliefs are not entities causing resistance - the resistance is how the beliefs / thoughts - feel - directly - to that which is in truth effortlessly unfolding already. The underlying belief at play thread wise is that there is a knower and a body and therein “limitation” via misidentification as the knower and or body - which is serving you in drawing out the clarity & insights. 

The simpler ‘direct route’, as not to get entangled with thought / ego (making an effort) more - is acknowledging & expressing the frustration felt. The gainless pointless pain (suffering). Acknowledging vs suppressing the self-inherent guidance.

There might also be underlying ‘comparisons’ at play… how relatable is this…

“Don't you think I want to, don't you think I would!?
Don't you think I'd tell you baby if I only could!
Am I actin' crazy, am I just too proud?
Am I just plain lazy, am I, am I, am I, am I ever - 

Jealous, jealous again.
Thought it time that I let you in”

♥️

If so, the relief / release is in the acknowledgement. No doing required. No problem to be solved. 

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

No other way around it .

Around, what exactly?

If you go with Freud's idea of the ego, it had three parts, the ID, (instinct, bas drives, etc), the Superego, (conscience, and also the bullying voice telling you you're an idiot for saying that thing), and the ego which tries to mediate between the two opposing views. So you're just describing a fight between the Superego and the ID, neither of which are your friends, and neither or which require mediation, really. The idea that there is a fight between them is the resistance. 

Youtube Channel  

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Beliefs are not entities causing resistance - the resistance is how the beliefs / thoughts - feel - directly - to that which is in truth effortlessly unfolding already.

Close enough

4 hours ago, Phil said:

is acknowledging & expressing the frustration felt.

I will do it anyways. But how do you express on the spot. Talk out loud about your frustration, pull out the phone and write it? I've done that sometimes and it doesn't always feel better.

3 hours ago, Mandy said:

If you go with Freud's idea of the ego, it had three parts, the ID, (instinct, bas drives, etc), the Superego, (conscience, and also the bullying voice telling you you're an idiot for saying that thing), and the ego which tries to mediate between the two opposing views. So you're just describing a fight between the Superego and the ID, neither of which are your friends, and neither or which require mediation, really. The idea that there is a fight between them is the resistance. 

So you are saying i don't really want to be doing it instinctively, or where does the ID show up? 

There is no fight, but there is resistance.

Meditation rhythm worse than ever right now since starting school and dating someone at the same time. Want to get back on track with that

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

You reap what you sow .

Yes, thats what we are looking into here.

3 hours ago, Someone here said:

Around the fact that you must work hard if you want an extraordinary life .

6 hours ago, Someone here said:

No pain no gain . No other way around it .

What you sow ⬆️

Edited by WhiteOwl

@WhiteOwl You're confusing desire, which it its essence feels good and feels like a great idea or a great thing to focus on, with a personal goal, that then involves conditions and goodness and capableness and discipline on behalf of a person to achieve. 

17 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

So you are saying i don't really want to be doing it instinctively, or where does the ID show up? 

According to Freud's model, the ID wants to conserve energy, eat, sleep, procreate with whomever, wherever. 3 rep of stretches instead of 5 is, according to the model of the ego, an ID/Super Ego battle. It's not that the ID IS the ego in exclusion of the other parts, it's like you're saying the ID is the problem and missing the conflict with the supposed Superego part. It's what blocks off the real guidance streaming through. Like pulling a muscle because you swore you would do 25 pull ups every day for the month of November, and you didn't listen to the intuition that you needed Thursday off. Sometimes intuition or guidance is going to be to keep going with the plan and other times, to change course. 

Resistance and fight are synonymous in my opinion, but I know we don't use the same language predominately. 

Youtube Channel  

28 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Close enough

The difference is the ego, or separate self implied by thoughts. 

I will do it anyways.

The doer. 

But how do you express on the spot.

The sep self for whom there is other & time. 

Talk out loud about your frustration, pull out the phone and write it?

The self which is separate from the emotion, to whom the emotion as a possession belongs to. 

I've done that sometimes and it doesn't always feel better.

The self which is “in time”, and isn’t present. The knower which knows there’s a second self in time. 

It’s simpler to acknowledge frustration. 

40 minutes ago, Mandy said:

It's not that the ID IS the ego, it's like you're saying the ID is the problem and missing the conflict with the supposed Superego part

Makes sense. Was more referring to the other scenario though. Its not like i'm preserving energy doing one thing in the music-daw over the other. Maybe i should start seeing that sensation/resistance as something positive

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

The doer.

I was not meant to imply a doer, probably in the same way you are not implying an acknowledger here ⬇️

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’s simpler to acknowledge frustration. 

Its not about the words, its about the communication.

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

The self which is “in time”, and isn’t present. The knower which knows there’s a second self in time. 

Makes sense. Appreciate it. Kind of hard to communicate anything though. Kind of hilarious that past and future are all the same, thoughts. 

26 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

I was not meant to imply a doer, probably in the same way you are not implying an acknowledger here

No, not in the same way. The acknowledgment or acknowledging of an emotion felt presently is not on behalf of a separate self in time.

27 minutes ago, WhiteOwl said:

Its not about the words, its about the communication.

The acknowledgement of an emotion felt isn’t about words or communication. 

Makes sense. Appreciate it. Kind of hard to communicate anything though. Kind of hilarious that past and future are all the same, thoughts. 

🙏🏼 Totally. Relieving and hilarious.