What do you feel about the message of this cartoon?

Mandy

On 9/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Mandy said:

shark.thumb.jpg.20aba75f31f5208e9eb93448788d3dc7.jpg

Actually listening vs. Not listening

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

That we attract people who won't listen can be a mirror effect of not listening to ourselves. Listening to ourselves means feeling into the resonance of what we say with ourselves. Meditation and journaling and inspecting beliefs is what leads to the best conversations. Not to say that talking to someone is actually different from those things. We often are more intentional with what we say, (listen to ourselves) if we believe it's for someone else that we do this. If we were to rely too heavily on feedback from someone else, we would no longer be expressing but explaining ourselves or arguing for the way we feel, and how it's not how we want to feel and our powerless part in it. 

Youtube Channel  

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

That we attract people who won't listen can be a mirror effect of not listening to ourselves. Listening to ourselves means feeling into the resonance of what we say with ourselves. Meditation and journaling and inspecting beliefs is what leads to the best conversations. Not to say that talking to someone is actually different from those things. We often are more intentional with what we say, (listen to ourselves) if we believe it's for someone else that we do this. If we were to rely too heavily on feedback from someone else, we would no longer be expressing but explaining ourselves or arguing for the way we feel, and how it's not how we want to feel and our powerless part in it. 

I love it

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

The first shark is rejecting the other's feelings, worse than that, telling the suffering shark to reject their own feelings. 

The second shark is validating, accepting of feelings even if painful.   With practice it can lead to empathy and secure attachment building.   

Funnily enough, our therapist (who isn't a shark 😀) gave us this same lesson only last week.