Mindfulness: Seeing the Comfort in Every Sensation

Orb

One thing that's hugely changed my experience of life in these past 2 days is seeing the comforting side to every sensation I feel. 

Try it out and see if it helps!

When going through an emotion or sensation that you commonly see as "wrong", feel the comfort that it actually is. 

For example, you got a headache "How does this feel comfortable? 🤔". 

Instead of "oh man I feel like crap!"

♾️

For me, it’s easier to find comfort in discomfort for certain sensations/feelings. For example, sitting in a sauna can be uncomfortable, yet it’s pretty easy for the dynamic to shift such that there is comfort with the discomfort. A more challenge ing sensation for me has been hunger. Last summer, I began eating 1 meal a day in a four hour window. So everyday, I go 20+ hours without any food calories (including both food and beverages). My mind-body relationship to food and hunger has radically changed. . . . Other discomforts are even more challenging, such as chronic pain.

Overall, uncomfortable sensations are most challenging to me if: 1) I don’t have control over making it stop and 2) I don’t know when the pain will stop (if ever). For example, today I stretched myself into uncomfortable zones during exercise. Yet I knew the discomfort was temporary and I could stop anytime I wanted. I was able to find comfort in the discomfort (and I kinda liked it). Now, my energy reserves are depleted and I feel “discomfort” of hunger. Yet I can shift my relationship with it, such that the discomfort is “good”. Yet again,  I know the discomfort is temporary and I can make it stop (eat) anytime I want. I even start to get curious about the phenomena of hunger.

In contrast, chronic pain is much more challenging for me. For example, I have a condition in which I feel burning / stinging sensations in my hands and feet. When it gets bad, I can’t make it stop and no pain med helps. I also don’t know when, if ever, the pain will settle down. I’ve worked with my relationship to the sensations, yet it’s a much harder dynamic than those I described above.