The Only Thing You Can Do

Orb

It occurred to me during meditation that the only thing the ego can do is resist. That's literally it. So when resistance settles down, all of the work is done. 

Profoundly simple, yet mindblowing and crazy. Non-doing. Just Stop ️.  

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Orb said:

It occurred to me during meditation that the only thing the ego can do is resist. That's literally it. So when resistance settles down, all of the work is done. 

Profoundly simple, yet mindblowing and crazy. Non-doing. Just Stop ️.  

And what's weird is when you stop it all keeps going on its own.  It's like you were never needed in the first place for anything.  You can rest as Awareness (the Self) and just watch it all happen.  It gets even deeper when the doer falls away, when the results seeker falls away.  But that doesn't slow anything down either.  We think we need that ego there to hold it all together or to control something.  Talk about not feeling wanted or needed lol -- the poor ego doesn't know what to do with itself.

From a more human perspective (rather than a Divine perspective):  Allow other people to have a voice and do their thing including reacting in a non-positive way toward you.  Don't be so defensive or sensitive that people can't "attack" you verbally as part of their path.  And yes people do change and can regret and want to remedy past "wrongs",  The way people react has to do with them and not us.  And to know the why is important too for you.  They're carrying whatever load and ambition they have at that time and are trying to support their interest.  People can change.  They can change dramatically but also paradoxically stay the same too.  The ego has a signature to it and it can't be entirely re-created.  You'll notice this, people stay the same as much as they change paradoxically.  But never see this as a limiting belief.  People can change in dramatic ways like you've never seen too.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍