What's depression?

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Why would you like depression to be mental illness?

I don't like it to be that .It IS that . 

I'm asking if reality is unconditional love ..how comle we experience disturbing negative discordant thoughts ? What is the source of them if there is one source and that source is pure benevolence and goodness? will grant ya that  big part of depression is related to thoughts (that's the psychological aspect ..but the physiological aspect is also important and you can't dismiss it ..which has to do with lack of certain neurotransmitters in the brain ).

13 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I don't like it to be that .It IS that . 

If depression is mental illness, and this is already known, why make a thread about what depression is?

13 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I'm asking if reality is unconditional love ..how comle we experience disturbing negative discordant thoughts ? What is the source of them if there is one source and that source is pure benevolence and goodness? will grant ya that  big part of depression is related to thoughts (that's the psychological aspect ..but the physiological aspect is also important and you can't dismiss it ..which has to do with lack of certain neurotransmitters in the brain ).

Keep it simple, examine one belief at a time. Start with ‘we experience’. 

I’m not suggesting “a big part of depression is related to thoughts”. I said depression is a concept, a conceptualization. 

I’m not in any way attempting to dismiss anything, and I’m not suggesting any lack of anything. 

Those beliefs can also be examined. 

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

depression is mental illness, and this is already known, why make a thread about what depression is?

Perhaps bad choice of title from my part . More like I want to understand how it comes about and how is it related to thoughts. 

Essentially i want to understand why do we experience discordant thoughts with our true nature ? 

In the emotional scale there are the lower emotions in the scale which you should express and move up the scale ? Why there are negative (lower ) and positive (higher ) emotions if they both arise from the source of all things which is said to be "unconditional " love . What thar means?  it's indiscriminate?

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Keep it simple, examine one belief at a time. Start with ‘we experience

Help me out . My mind is blank 

30 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Perhaps bad choice of title from my part . More like I want to understand how it comes about and how is it related to thoughts. 

Depression is a thought, a concept, a conceptualization of feeling. A concept / thought isn’t a separate physical thing which “comes about” or is “related to thoughts”. That would be a tertiary belief / conceptualization of feeling. 

30 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Essentially i want to understand why do we experience discordant thoughts with our true nature ? 

Keep it simple, examine one belief at a time. Start with ‘we experience’. 

As in, is there an experience of ‘we experience’, or is there an experience of the thought; ‘we experience’.

More so, is thought directly experienced.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s what you’re checking in direct experience. 

Do you find a we experiencing thoughts?

Or do you find that ‘we experience’ is a thought?

Honestly..both is correct. 

We as human beings experience thoughts.

And simultaneously.."we as human beings experience thoughts " IS a thought 🤔 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

@Someone here

What is aware of the thought, “we as human beings experience thoughts”?

Nothing. No one .

It's not like there is some entity separate from the thought that is aware of the thought . There is just the thought.  There isn't two separate events happening simultaneously (the thought +that which is aware of it).

7 minutes ago, Someone here said:

It's not like there is some entity separate from the thought that is aware of the thought . There is just the thought.  There isn't two separate events happening simultaneously (the thought +that which is aware of it).

18 minutes ago, Someone here said:

We as human beings experience thoughts.

What is aware of all of those / these thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Phil my dude ..look .."aware of" is a dualistic notion . There is no one hand a separate thought and on the other hand something like consciousness or awareness that is aware of  the thought . There is one seamless indivisible experience. 

I didn’t ask if thoughts are separate. I just asked what is aware of thoughts. Keep it simple.