Impermanence

Lotus

Life is so beautiful. Yet, it's hurting that everything will eventually come to an end. All the friendships made, all the music written, all the work done, all the experiences had.. eventually, all of that will pass. Life tends to feel rock solid at times, static and unchanging. But we are just visitors here. Our time here is limited. That's why it's so precious. It is such a beautiful gift.

Is there a resolution for the pain of impermanence? Is it all just bittersweet and melancholic?

I don't think so. This beautiful, shape-shifting thing we call "life" is wrapped in caring hands. There is something, which keeps an eye on us. There is a power, which protects us. There is something, which lets us know, that all is good. All is good.

Feeling a wave of bittersweet melancholy again.

I love my parents, I love the time with my friends.

Amidst the pain of clinging to the ones I love, I can feel God's love. Everything will be okay. I don't know how to express this, but I can feel it. And it's both heartbreaking and full of love. There's a sense of coming to terms with it; accepting it; allowing it.

Man. 🥲❣️

„It is not impermanence that makes us suffer. What makes us suffer is wanting things to be permanent when they are not. We need to learn to appreciate the value of impermanence. If we are in good health and are aware of impermanence, we will take good care of ourselves. When we know that the person we love is impermanent, we will cherish our beloved all the more. Impermanence teaches us to respect and value every moment and all the precious things around us and inside of us. When we practice mindfulness of impermanence, we become fresher and more loving.“

- Thich Nhat Hanh

22 hours ago, Phil said:

@Lotus

How do know it’s true though? What if you die first? 

Sure, that could happen, too.

I think that the sting is a nice reminder to cherish the time you have with your loved ones.

And even if I die first, there are a lot of other things, which are impermanent, too. 

22 hours ago, Phil said:

What if no one really dies?

Well, that‘s the thing which makes me feel good. I „know“ that they will be in a good place, when they die. The tragedy doesn‘t happen to them, but to the ones who remain.

I believe that the false self, namely the ego/the body/the human being dies, but the spirit is timeless aliveness. 

22 hours ago, Phil said:

Can anything really eventually pass?

Anything which I am aware of passes in my direct experience. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I think that the sting is a nice reminder to cherish the time you have with your loved ones.

I don’t disagree, but also no time or ones is mindblowingly delightfull as well. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

And even if I die first, there are a lot of other things, which are impermanent, too. 

Maybe. But… maybe not. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Well, that‘s the thing which makes me feel good. I „know“ that they will be in a good place, when they die. The tragedy doesn‘t happen to them, but to the ones who remain.

I believe that the false self, namely the ego/the body/the human being dies, but the spirit is timeless aliveness. 

Well you know I’m not one to infringe on anyone’s beliefs. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Anything which I am aware of passes in my direct experience. 

So then can any thing eventually pass? 

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Maybe. But… maybe not.

I don‘t understand. The only unchanging thing seems to be awareness. The rest, for example a flower, a cup of tea, a car, societal structures, all of those don‘t seem to be permanent and they seem to be in a universal cycle. 

12 hours ago, Phil said:

Well you know I’m not one to infringe on anyone’s beliefs. 🙂 

No of course not. 😂

12 hours ago, Phil said:

So then can any thing eventually pass?

In the sense of „can anything happen at all“?

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

I don‘t understand. The only unchanging thing seems to be awareness. The rest, for example a flower, a cup of tea, a car, societal structures, all of those don‘t seem to be permanent and they seem to be in a universal cycle. 

Is awareness really a thing?

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

No of course not. 😂

😂 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

In the sense of „can anything happen at all“?

In the sense eventually requires time. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Is awareness really a thing?

Not really. Awareness escapes definition, because everything awareness is aware of, is not awareness.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

In the sense eventually requires time. 

Oh. Well, in that sense, everything is kinda fluid, nothing is really static. Everchanging right now. 

@Phil

„How meta do we want to go?“

Phil: Yes. 

😂

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Even the awareness awareness is aware of.  🙂

Language makes spirituality seem complicated and hard to understand, but being is simple. Thank. God.

Thinking spirituality is like 🔙➡️⤵️🔝⬇️↗️↩️⬆️ „ehh what does the awareness awareness is aware of  even mean“

Being is like

3 hours ago, Phil said:

That there is no impermanence. 

Would it be a misunderstanding to think that my dinner plate will last forever, when there's no impermanence? In direct experience, it sure is or seems finite and impermanent.

Perhaps because "forever" is a notion of time, and "no impermanence" has nothing to do with time?