What Is Projection?

Phil

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/what-is-projection

WHAT IS PROJECTION?

Thought, and therein interpretation (also thoughts), arises as, of, and as if in, the sphere of the lens, or, the someway sphere. The thoughts, or interpretations, appear to be about, the sphere of the world, universe, or simply the somewhere sphere.

But not all thoughts focused upon are about the sphere of the somewhere. Some thoughts are about ‘the separate self’ - ‘my idea of a separate me’ - and are believed, even though these thoughts are discordant feeling. The discord felt is the self-evidence that the thought or belief is not true.

The discord, or suffering felt… is actually ‘between’ the appearing thought or interpretation… and what the lens is actually made of; infinite unconditional love.

Separation is a concept, an interpretation. Interpretation of separation is regard to identity is discordant. The feeling of discord is ‘with’ - is - the very love you are, which is what is being… this experience, reality, or if you will, creation. Creator-creating-creation.

Yet, beliefs about ‘the separate self’ (thoughts about you which aren’t true), even given the discord felt, can easily be missed. Beliefs are felt, yet when identified with, or ‘attached to’, beliefs can go ‘unseen’ as they are already assumed to be true. When the discordant thoughts are believed to be true, the discord is felt. You know this when you experience it, by how it feels. 

In the believing of the thought… it is then believed that the discord felt… is because of what someone else says, said, or believes… or simply because the thought is believed to be true.

Essentially, in many different ways, this sounds like…

“This discordant feeling, this suffering, can’t possibly be what I am believing, thinking, focusing on or saying! It must be because of… ‘you’ .”

But the discord is felt between the love you really are… and the un-inspected belief.

HOW CAN I LOOK INTO THIS MORE?

In addition to the meditations & tools provided on this site… inspect the discord, the suffering, and the self referential belief(s).

Also, inspect the belief that feeling, as it pertains to projection & discord felt (suffering)… is ‘coming from’ someone or somewhere else.

‘Break it down’ by attempting to explain exactly how feeling ‘transfers’ from one to another.

Contemplate, ‘there is no assertion’.

As in, the discord or suffering is not caused by someone else, but is the natural feeling of a misunderstanding, thought, belief, misinterpretation, misidentification… about you.

The solution, to which truly there is no problem, is no longer focusing on the discordant thoughts, beliefs, or interpretation… and focusing on more aligned feeling thoughts. This allows new thoughts, better feeling thoughts, thoughts more indicative of your true nature, to arise. Often referred to as, clarity or insight.

You might also contemplate and reflect on the role projection plays in terms of conscious creating.

As you contemplate projection, look at your dreamboard and consider when you are and are not, being a vibrational match to that which you are desiring to create & experience.

You might also utilize the emotional scale to ‘work out’ the discord of self conceptualizations, by expression, thus allowing and listening to, the emotional guidance you are receiving, in regard to the thoughts.

CAN YOU GIVE SOME SPECIFIC EXAMPLES?

A common concept which comes to mind is shame. Shame is a two part discordant concept.

First, there is the thought, interpretation or belief, in some way - ‘I am separate’, and or ‘you are separate’.

The belief in separate selves, feels intrinsically discordant to the love you are.

Here, if you will, one can continue to focus on the discordant belief - or - upon the feeling.

To focus on the feeling, is to receive the guidance, and not to suffer. Put another way, this is willfully feeling, putting communion & how you feel first, rather than ‘being right’, or, upholding that any thoughts are true.

Put yet another way, thoughts are an appearance, as the someway sphere. Not believing the discordant thoughts, and feeling - is love, that which the spheres are made of. That which the appearance of experience - is.

Love is The Truth.
Love is infinite & unconditional.
You, are not separate of or other than, Truth.

To focus on the belief, is to suppress feeling and miss the guidance, and to continue to suffer.

Only then, the secondary belief, the concept of shame, can arise.

Shame is a secondary conceptualization - a justifying / rationalizing of the first belief / concept, and of the discord / suffering felt.

The secondary belief is that there even is - ‘shame’.

This is followed by projection, which is a way us a third belief - that the suffering, the discordant feeling, is coming from somewhere or someone else, as opposed to the love that I am, which is vibrationally appearing as - experience, reality, creation - and is believing… these discordant thoughts.

Love this. Super relevant for me and where I am. I’m realizing that all meaning is something I’m creating for myself. so when I’m experiencing discord, I am aware it’s me but I’m not always aware of why the discord is there.

Also recently noticing that peoples “personalities” are just projected stories about who they are that I’m believing.

I know you often say there are no people but something that has come up for me lately is that I don’t know anyone at all. What I mean is that without my life story and the life story of others, I don’t know who I am and I don’t know who anyone else is. Hope that makes sense.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:22 AM, Kevin said:

Love this. Super relevant for me and where I am. I’m realizing that all meaning is something I’m creating for myself. so when I’m experiencing discord, I am aware it’s me but I’m not always aware of why the discord is there.

Awesome!

Might contemplate & consider this is because you are actually formless and unconditional. ‘Look at’ perception and consider there is no form or finite ‘there’. There are thoughts appearing - “form”, “finite”.

Maybe the discord, in a more literal than experiential sense, isn’t actually ‘there’ at all. Sort of like wind. There is the experience of some thing ‘there’ which is experientially felt, but there isn’t actually some ‘thing’ there.

Could be really insightfull to notice there isn’t the duality of ‘a thing’ there, in recognition the discord is how some appearing thoughts feel. An appearance not being a ‘thing’, as in, an actual separate physical object. 

Maybe this clicks… essentially… the recognition of… thought attachment. 

There is the experience of the thought ‘people’… and this thought is projected (or not) ‘onto’ perception. 

It’s easy to look past this and continue to project, or already be focused on or ‘caught up in’ so to speak, the projection, vs noticing the “I’m projecting” aspect. In the sense that might sound like ‘I feel x, y or z because of this ‘thing’ (a past, a person, a future, what someone says, “who I am” / identity via identifying via experience(s), etc.

There might be a very slight discord in the thought ‘creating it for myself’. There might be more alignment in I’m being ‘it’ - with ‘it’ being experiential, but not an actual thing which is experienced. Thus again, so to speak, bringing us back to the discord or suffering being that of feeling the guidance (of yourself, which is yourself) as it relates to the experience of some thoughts, vs some ‘thing’ ‘I’ have. With the ‘sweeter’ implication being suffering is not actually indicative of Ourself, but is indicative of the apparent experience of some thoughts (beliefs, interpretations, misunderstandings, misidentification - all appearance - all actually now or not experienced at all). 

Also recently noticing that peoples “personalities” are just projected stories about who they are that I’m believing.

Yep. Similarly here… thought wise… ‘personalities’ seem as if a ‘thing’ individuals ‘have’. My personality, your personality, his, hers, etc. Until it’s inspected… where is it then? Where do we, or I, or anyone else for that matter, actually ‘have’ this alleged ‘personality’.

I know you often say there are no people but something that has come up for me lately is that I don’t know anyone at all. What I mean is that without my life story and the life story of others, I don’t know who I am and I don’t know who anyone else is. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, makes perfect sense in the consideration that all knowledge is illusory, as all thought(s) is apparent. Appearance. Appearing ‘thoughts’, one at a time, believed or not. Knowledge of, ‘personality(s)’, is, (as those ruthless evil “neo-advaitans” we all love to hate lol claim), ‘just thoughts’. So to speak, there is often a ‘trying to hold on to’ a my personality, my identity, and projecting this onto ‘others’ with their personality, pigeonholing ‘individuals’ - which is really a trying to continue to identify via ‘my’ ‘knowledge’, which is suppressive of the Truth, which is synonymous with, Not Knowing. 

Infinite can not know finite. 

Infinite has no ‘thing’ to know… because infinite (you) is / are…. Actually Infinite. 

This comes to mind… 🙂

A1AF66F2-FE88-4D8F-86FC-99ED3BA9598C.jpeg.17499f76e694769ae2a1cbebf7e5e93c.jpeg

These also come to mind. Just, if interested. Might be a profound element of humor there previously unnoticed...

@Phil

Sometimes I find myself making the distinction between “identity” and “personality”, to me identity is what is attached to, and personality is the way one expresses themselves.

I feel personality becomes deeper more open, one becomes more expressive & lively the less identity they have. The less they are attached to believing there is something they have or

could have, anything. Even personality. 

The personality of Life beaming through you. Love.

Guess all I am really saying is how funny it is that one seems more expressive the less they believe they have anything, any kind of expresser.  

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

@Phil

Flowers in the garden of Life, 

Trying to open to the Light, 

The air is not in the way,

In fact it is what makes it sway.

Today is as good as any,

To see through the many, 

Our roots all dig deep,

Intertwined in a great Mind, 
Yet the Heart takes a seat,

Right Here, is the treat. 

🙏

Ten thousand tears,

One Belly Laugh.

14 hours ago, Phil said:

Awesome!

Might contemplate & consider this is because you are actually formless and unconditional. ‘Look at’ perception and consider there is no form or finite ‘there’. There are thoughts appearing - “form”, “finite”.

Maybe the discord, in a more literal than experiential sense, isn’t actually ‘there’ at all. Sort of like wind. There is the experience of some thing ‘there’ which is experientially felt, but there isn’t actually some ‘thing’ there.

Could be really insightfull to notice there isn’t the duality of ‘a thing’ there, in recognition the discord is how some appearing thoughts feel. An appearance not being a ‘thing’, as in, an actual separate physical object. 

Maybe this clicks… essentially… the recognition of… thought attachment. 

There is the experience of the thought ‘people’… and this thought is projected (or not) ‘onto’ perception. 

It’s easy to look past this and continue to project, or already be focused on or ‘caught up in’ so to speak, the projection, vs noticing the “I’m projecting” aspect. In the sense that might sound like ‘I feel x, y or z because of this ‘thing’ (a past, a person, a future, what someone says, “who I am” / identity via identifying via experience(s), etc.

There might be a very slight discord in the thought ‘creating it for myself’. There might be more alignment in I’m being ‘it’ - with ‘it’ being experiential, but not an actual thing which is experienced. Thus again, so to speak, bringing us back to the discord or suffering being that of feeling the guidance (of yourself, which is yourself) as it relates to the experience of some thoughts, vs some ‘thing’ ‘I’ have. With the ‘sweeter’ implication being suffering is not actually indicative of Ourself, but is indicative of the apparent experience of some thoughts (beliefs, interpretations, misunderstandings, misidentification - all appearance - all actually now or not experienced at all). 

Yep. Similarly here… thought wise… ‘personalities’ seem as if a ‘thing’ individuals ‘have’. My personality, your personality, his, hers, etc. Until it’s inspected… where is it then? Where do we, or I, or anyone else for that matter, actually ‘have’ this alleged ‘personality’.

Yes, makes perfect sense in the consideration that all knowledge is illusory, as all thought(s) is apparent. Appearance. Appearing ‘thoughts’, one at a time, believed or not. Knowledge of, ‘personality(s)’, is, (as those ruthless evil “neo-advaitans” we all love to hate lol claim), ‘just thoughts’. So to speak, there is often a ‘trying to hold on to’ a my personality, my identity, and projecting this onto ‘others’ with their personality, pigeonholing ‘individuals’ - which is really a trying to continue to identify via ‘my’ ‘knowledge’, which is suppressive of the Truth, which is synonymous with, Not Knowing. 

Infinite can not know finite. 

Infinite has no ‘thing’ to know… because infinite (you) is / are…. Actually Infinite. 

This comes to mind… 🙂

A1AF66F2-FE88-4D8F-86FC-99ED3BA9598C.jpeg.17499f76e694769ae2a1cbebf7e5e93c.jpeg

These also come to mind. Just, if interested. Might be a profound element of humor there previously unnoticed...

Beautiful. I love hearing your responses. A lot of what I wanted to respond with is conceptualizing and mental masturbation so I’ll keep it short.

I listened to part of the Jim Newman video. I’ll probably finish it tomorrow. To be honest listening to him is frustrating to me. Maybe one day it’ll click and I will love his videos but for now I just get frustrated. It also sounded like earlier in the video he was saying meditation is useless. I seem to get a lot out of meditation so I was a little lost.

@Kevin

🙂

It’s (“Jim’s material”) very effective in terms of recognizing & uprooting projection (of thoughts about how I am separate) when there is the shift to inspection of the thoughts, in the vein of bringing suffering (frustration) to a natural end. It points directly to the end of believing the very thoughts which are found to be frustrating and believed to make a me (as separate) frustrated.

Compare these perspectival approaches… feel the discord or alignment of these thoughts….

He is frustrating to me, I get frustrated…and get a lot out of meditation

(The implication there is he is separate and  I am separate and meditation is separate.)

Can the thoughts of separate selves be noticed? Can it be noticed these thoughts are believed, and frustration reveals this? 

Can the thoughts of judgment (of a separate self Jim, and of a separate self me, and of a separate thing called meditation) be noticed, inspected, dispelled, naturally ‘seen through’ and thus relinquished in the name of bringing an end to the suffering of frustration? 

Can the feeling, the emotional guidance of frustration, be allowed to relieve the suffering by revealing the discord of attachment, of these thoughts?

Vs…

No one is frustrating, no one is frustrated... frustration is an emotion.  

Emotion is an indication, not a thing. 

Meditation is an allowing, bringing thought activity to rest, and suffering to peace, and not a thing. 

Certain thoughts arise, and the emotion of frustration arises. What is the nature of these particular thoughts, such that there is the guidance of frustration?  Separation. What does frustration reveal about these thoughts - do these thoughts feel great? Why not? Am I the separate self these thoughts are about, or am I infinite, prior to these appearing thoughts? 

Does meditation resonate, because it is the very allowing of the relinquishment of the continuing to believe - the discordant thoughts? 

Just how ‘tricky’ is this one thought - “ I “ ?

How does this thought feel - I am worthless. 

How does this thought feel - holy shit that’s a thought and it doesn’t feel good, and it’s clearly not true about me. 

Another way to frame it up communicatively… 

Before ‘getting on the path’ so to speak, there is consistent suffering, no rollercoaster. 

‘Getting on the path’ is the acknowledgement of the truth of suffering. That there is, suffering. 

‘Getting on the path’ in acccordance with The Buddha (The Enlightened One - not the words of a separate self named Siddhartha)… is adoption of the practice. 

Inevitably, the peace that was longed for in the suffering is ‘found’ or ‘experienced’ in, meditation. Peace is still however thought of as, believed to be, a result of meditation - and not recognized to be, me, the true nature. 

Then, inevitably, there is ‘the rollercoaster’. The feeling better from meditation, and feeling worse when the discordant thoughts arise. 

Then, inevitably, there is meditation and… the inspection of the discord, the suffering, of some thoughts. 

Then, inevitably, there is no more rollercoaster, no more suffering, no more frustration… as there is no more believing of or thought attachment with, the discordant thoughts. 

Then, it is clear, I am the peace, which is appearing as, thoughts. 

“Movement and repose” as Jesus said. (Also not a separate self).