Idolizing/criticizing

Rose

A habit of idolizing someone seems to be always complimentary to the habit of criticizing 

Recently a spoke to someone with whom we have a common friend. She started talking about how great our friend is, such a wonderful helpful person, really helped her get out of the dark times in her life, was there for her no matter what..

Then in 5 minutes she started talking about how bad her coworkers are (even though we just met on a 30 minute zoom call), that the team would really benefit from finally getting “someone like me”

It’s fascinating really.. 

What have been your observations on this?

1 hour ago, Rose said:

She started talking about how great our friend is, such a wonderful helpful person, really helped her get out of the dark times in her life, was there for her no matter what..

I would not call this idolizing. Saying someone is a wonderful and helpful person is very different from idolizing. 

But i do see the correlation playing out. Sort of like how arrogance and insecurity fits together. Can't have one without the other. 

On 7/4/2024 at 1:43 PM, WhiteOwl said:

Sort of like how arrogance and insecurity fits together. Can't have one without the other. 

Why can’t you have one without another? I think I know the answer but would love to hear your explanation 

6 hours ago, Rose said:

Why can’t you have one without another? I think I know the answer but would love to hear your explanation 

The belief that there are people who can be or have more worth than others breeds arrogance, but believing that will inevitably also make you feel insecurity when you judge yourself to not measure up sometimes. 

Simply put, you turned yourself this object that you measure towards other objects. Corresponding feelings will be arrogance or insecurity, among others.