About Self-Inquiry ?

Blessed2

So I have this very, very faint memory of a dream I saw last night, where the subject of self-inquiry, (as mentioned in the Meditations at AoB website) came up.

It's very hard to put into words, but there was like an insight in that dream. I've been wondering why exactly is it 'beneficial' to keep focus (or meditate on) the feeling of being me. Am I not the separate self? How would it be beneficial to wake up from the dream of a separate self, to focus on the feeling of being me?

In the dream, I was with someone (can't remember who) and they kind of helped me to see how self-inquiry "works" and how profound it is. How that feeling of being me is like train tracks leading to Realization, even though it itself is not Realization. (?)

Does that make sense?

I guess what I'm asking... Why focus on the feeling of being me? What is that feeling of being me?

Why is it presented as "beyond the fundmentals"?

Anything come to mind in regard to this?

There must be an effortless way.

3 hours ago, MetaSage said:

Is you a feeling? If it's already cognized as feeling then it's a feeling. Who are you? Who feels that sense?

Just keep intending to grasp you

I'm a bit confused in regard to self-inquiry.

Some say it's meditating (focusing) on the 'feeling of being me', like on the AoB website.

And some present it as a questioning "who is seeing this image" or "who is feeling this emotion" etc. In this questioning, the answer seems to always be, "I am." Then the next question is obviously, "Who am I"?

Then there's just a feeling of being me... 

There must be an effortless way.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:52 PM, Blessed2 said:

So I have this very, very faint memory of a dream I saw last night, where the subject of self-inquiry, (as mentioned in the Meditations at AoB website) came up.

If it’s just for conversation, then of course, ‘I have a memory’ is just conversational.  If it’s more about the truth, then ‘I have a memory’ is not quite in accordance with direct experience as a memory appears, and appears only now, and as appearance, isn’t something anyone has. 

Emptying is so natural and indicative of appearing that the apparent lens inherently empties. When the memory appears, and the thought that it is a memory of something in the past, a dream, This, is by default, seemingly real. 

It's very hard to put into words, but there was like an insight in that dream.

Then the insight that there aren’t things in a dream could seem like a thing that was inside a dream.  

I've been wondering why exactly is it 'beneficial' to keep focus (or meditate on) the feeling of being me.

What’s ‘it’ of ‘it’s beneficial’?

Who says self inquiry is beneficial… keep focus, meditate on?

Am I not the separate self?

You definitely are not some thing there isn’t. It’s like saying am I not the unicorn?

How would it be beneficial to wake up from the dream of a separate self, to focus on the feeling of being me?

That would be dreaming about a dream of a separate self. Waking up doesn’t benefit a you, it’s the end of believing in something there never was in the first place.

In the dream, I was with someone (can't remember who) and they kind of helped me to see how self-inquiry "works" and how profound it is. How that feeling of being me is like train tracks leading to Realization, even though it itself is not Realization. (?)

Does that make sense?

If you were dreaming that there is someone talking about self realization, using analogies about Grand Central Station & trains, it would very literally be indiscernible from This. There would only be to notice there is no that which this is presumptively being compared to, such as a nighttime dream in the past that a unicorn had. 

I guess what I'm asking... Why focus on the feeling of being me? What is that feeling of being me?

On who’s behalf is the question. 

Why is it presented as "beyond the fundmentals"?

An aspect of self inquiry is allowing any and all arising thoughts to appear and disappear. 

Anything come to mind in regard to this?

Any and all.  

4 minutes ago, Alexander said:

@Phil Self is everything ,simple.Self is Infinite.Self is Love.

That's what was my actual experiences were.I didn't asked these pointless questions ."Who am I?" and such nonsense I experienced firsthand what I am.I think everyone can I am not special by any means.

Self and everything, self and experience, self and nonsense, etc would be two, whereas Nonduality simply ‘says’ not two. 

‘Who am I’ isn’t quite the same as the feeling of being me. 

Just intent to grasp you, whenever you get off track bring your mind back to the contemplation. You. You. You. What's that about?

At some point you might conclude "I can't find myself",  keep staring at the wall of uncertainty, wondering who am I?

There are no "answers", this is about getting you directly.