Therapy

Anyone had a good experience with therapy?

I have stuff popup when I get into stressful projects, but when everything is going well I don't take the time to work on deeper issues like I think I should, sort of let sleeping dogs lie. When stressed I can worry hard, feel real gloomy about life, and get scared.

I'm actually on the last hard consequential project I ever plan on doing again and about done but I feel like I should capitalize on this heightened sense, like it will probably never feel this strong again but even in the good times I think those thoughts are still quietly bouncing around taking a little from me.

What type of therapy do you recommend and what do you look for in a therapist.

I have childhood type issues, abandonment, manipulation, traumatic experiences, trust issues.

Or any self therapy practices you recommend. I like Journaling when I have time and meditating, expressing. I've looked into internal family systems a bit, but I don't think it get's to the root, sort of more coping, I want to conjure up all my past trauma and process it thoroughly.

Edited by Devin

Around age 20 I experienced three therapists and and as many prescriptions and honestly had neither a bad nor good experience with any of them. It just didn’t move the dial at all. It was fine, little bit of negative side effects medication wise, but overall just entirely unremarkable. In hindsight it’s because therapy was only thought based, psychological, conceptual, and the medication was suppressive. They say the medications are connective, neurons etc. Idk. That wasn’t how it was experienced here.

If it’s ever asked about or in question though, I always recommend it. Really, because it’s some expression. If someone’s asking about therapy it’s not because they’re blissed out in being, it’s because there is discord emptying and expression is a means of emptying, and clarity ensues. When the body empties the body fills up simultaneously. Hence expression begets creativity etc. The nature of our being. 

Not to compare or belittle therapy in any way, but what’s been found here is that expression and passion are ‘where it’s at’. Not passion tied to thinking or meaning, just passion. Anything creative infused with enjoyment of the activity, and specifically an activity that one so to speak gets better at, is ‘where it’s at’ imo. In Phil’s perfect world everyone plays an instrument and sings and this can be shared together anytime in an endless variety of ways. Obviously that’s preference. My two cents though is find something you enjoy that you can do anytime by yourself that is creative and can also be shared. An instrument and more so singing is great in that it breaks through all the barriers and is perfect yoga / breathwork. But I digress. 

21 hours ago, Devin said:

I want to conjure up all my past trauma and process it thoroughly

Mushrooms will do that for you. Specifically Golden Teacher. Usual disclaimers apply. Set, setting, small incremental increases. I favored alone in the woods.

Theraputic-psychedelic hybrid places are quietly popping up all over. There are over a dozen within 30 mins of here and many online as well. Most local places are using ketamine which I’ve no experience with so can’t speak to. But it’s probably not a far stretch that once some relationship is established, in one way or another there’s probably folks there or available to you via having gone there which are using mushrooms, mdma, etc. 

There’s also the simple always-available reactivity and triggering to be felt and questioned & dispelled as well. Replacing a self referential thought with acknowledging an emotion experienced for example is arguably the most healing, effective & clarifying and simple practice possible. Meditations of forgiveness are very powerful as well. The undercurrent of all is always love. It’s astounding imo how holding even just a little resentment or the like can veil. Forgiveness seems to reveal the world is all forgiving. The selflessness therein paradoxically is an allowing & receiving of the love that is. In hindsight frame of reference here, given the choice between an hour of therapy and one day of service to others, imo there’s just no comparison. Not that there’s a one or the other scenario of course. 

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

Mushrooms will do that for you. Specifically Golden Teacher. Usual disclaimers apply. Set, setting, small incremental increases. I favored alone in the woods.

Might do this today 🙂. Just drink some shroom tea, put on an eye mask, and receive the healing. I learned that in therapeutic settings people wear eye masks when they trip, I think being in darkness or keeping the eyes closed does something good for the trip. 

Edited by Orb

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Around age 20 I experienced three therapists and and as many prescriptions and honestly had neither a bad nor good experience with any of them. It just didn’t move the dial at all. It was fine, little bit of negative side effects medication wise, but overall just entirely unremarkable. In hindsight it’s because therapy was only thought based, psychological, conceptual, and the medication was suppressive. They say the medications are connective, neurons etc. Idk. That wasn’t how it was experienced here.

If it’s ever asked about or in question though, I always recommend it. Really, because it’s some expression. If someone’s asking about therapy it’s not because they’re blissed out in being, it’s because there is discord emptying and expression is a means of emptying, and clarity ensues. When the body empties the body fills up simultaneously. Hence expression begets creativity etc. The nature of our being. 

Not to compare or belittle therapy in any way, but what’s been found here is that expression and passion are ‘where it’s at’. Not passion tied to thinking or meaning, just passion. Anything creative infused with enjoyment of the activity, and specifically an activity that one so to speak gets better at, is ‘where it’s at’ imo. In Phil’s perfect world everyone plays an instrument and sings and this can be shared together anytime in an endless variety of ways. Obviously that’s preference. My two cents though is find something you enjoy that you can do anytime by yourself that is creative and can also be shared. An instrument and more so singing is great in that it breaks through all the barriers and is perfect yoga / breathwork. But I digress. 

Theraputic-psychedelic hybrid places are quietly popping up all over. There are over a dozen within 30 mins of here and many online as well. Most local places are using ketamine which I’ve no experience with so can’t speak to. But it’s probably not a far stretch that once some relationship is established, in one way or another there’s probably folks there or available to you via having gone there which are using mushrooms, mdma, etc. 

There’s also the simple always-available reactivity and triggering to be felt and questioned & dispelled as well. Replacing a self referential thought with acknowledging an emotion experienced for example is arguably the most healing, effective & clarifying and simple practice possible. Meditations of forgiveness are very powerful as well. The undercurrent of all is always love. It’s astounding imo how holding even just a little resentment or the like can veil. Forgiveness seems to reveal the world is all forgiving. The selflessness therein paradoxically is an allowing & receiving of the love that is. In hindsight frame of reference here, given the choice between an hour of therapy and one day of service to others, imo there’s just no comparison. Not that there’s a one or the other scenario of course. 

Thank you for the very thoughtful response.  I think I will try some of those techniques on my own, I'll try to get in a mindset to make it more a priority, when times are good I always put it off.

https://saffron-fife-24e2.squarespace.com/forgiveness

This is what I think I need to do, just need to make it a priority.

Edited by Devin

Here is what you should look for:

- A therapist who helps you forgive and let go of your past traumas rather than being stuck in victimhood mindset

- A therapist who gets you to understand people and see why they are acting this way instead of complaining and judging them

- A therapist who motivates you to be in charge of your life, get you out of the Karpman drama triangle, where you’re either a victim or a saviour or a persecutor, and become a hero of your life

- Who helps you to stop being your own critic, treat yourself as a good, kind and loving parent would

- Who helps you see life as a series of trainings, people and situations in it as, experiment with things and try different ways 

- Knows and guides you through the process of shadow work

Here is what this therapist looks like:

- Talks majority of the time explaining things to you, doesn’t just listen to you complain

- Is spiritual/does psychedelics/retreats etc.

-  Is calm but with a character (not phlegmatic), peaceful, joyful,  and vibrant 

So to summarize, the goal of therapy should be to get you out of victimhood, to get to understand people instead of judging them, get you out of binary thinking and instead get you to become a complex thinker, to get you excited about exploring and fine tuning yourself and getting to your true nature, stop judging yourself and understand why you are acting this way instead

Edited by Rose

24 minutes ago, Rose said:

Here is what you should look for:

- A therapist who helps you forgive and let go of your past traumas rather than being stuck in victimhood mindset

- A therapist who gets you to understand people and see why they are acting this way instead of complaining and judging them

- A therapist who motivates you to be in charge of your life, get you out of the Karpman drama triangle, where you’re either a victim or a saviour or a persecutor, and become a hero of your life

- Who helps you to stop being your own critic, treat yourself as a good, kind and loving parent would

- Who helps you see life as a series of trainings, people and situations in it as, experiment with things and try different ways 

- Knows and guides you through the process of shadow work

Here is what this therapist looks like:

- Talks majority of the time explaining things to you, doesn’t just listen to you complain

- Is spiritual/does psychedelics/retreats etc.

-  Is calm but with a character (not phlegmatic), peaceful, joyful,  and vibrant 

So to summarize, the goal of therapy should be to get you out of victimhood, to get to understand people instead of judging them, get you out of binary thinking and instead get you to become a complex thinker, to get you excited about exploring and fine tuning yourself and getting to your true nature, stop judging yourself and understand why you are acting this way instead

Awesome, thank you.