Music

MazE

Posted (edited)

"Fireball (1971)" by Deep Purple -- YouTube doesn't allow embedding of the links, but they're below.

On vinyl of course.  One of my favorite albums.

Side A:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiMGBl-q15k
Side B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkyBvU9F3to

This song was only included on U.S. version of the album, so here it is for completeness: (Ritchie Blackmore's 2 guitar solos on this song are amazing!  He's one of my favorite guitar players.)

Ian Gillan – lead and backing vocals
Ritchie Blackmore – rhythm and lead guitar

Jon Lord – organs (more than one), piano, synthesizer (on 'Demon's Eye')
Roger Glover – bass guitar
Ian Paice – drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

I've warmed up to this album.   This remaster ain't bad!  This album has some hits on it -- the ballads.  DLR couldn't really do ballads like Sammy can, except for maybe 'I'll Wait' on the album "1984", which isn't really a ballad per se, but it's got some emotion to it.  'Dreams' is one of those lightning in a bottle songs.  'Summer Nights' is a cool song.  I like the sound of Alex Van Halen's drums on this album, they sound very meticulously recorded.  This album definitely goes in the direction of tone and harmony since Sammy is such a great singer.  '5150' is a cool song.  I like Eddie's lead guitar solo in 'Good Enough', it's compact and brilliant with little deliberate rushes (ahead of the beat) in there too.

Sammy Hagar -- lead and backing vocals, acoustic guitar
Eddie Van Halen -- rhythm & lead guitar, keyboards, backing vocals 
Michael Anthony -- bass guitar, backing vocals 
Alex Van Halen -- drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1976.  It took me a while to get into this album, but now it's one of my favorite AC/DC albums.  Brilliance in simplicity!  Excellent simplicity is hard to achieve a lot of times, in any artform.   I can tell Van Halen appreciated this album, including Eddie Van Halen and DLR.  This is a fun album as it is good.  Angus' guitar solo on 'Squeeler' almost sounds like the nuts and bolts of an Eddie guitar solo.  Eddie might have appreciated the rhythm guitar/backing guitar/harmonic guitar in 'Ride On' too.  "Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round to Be a Millionaire)" is a great song!  This lineup of musicians is perfect on this album, and it's one big unified sound emphasizing making the songs shine first which I love.  

Bon Scott – lead vocals

Angus Young – lead guitar, backing rhythm guitar

Malcolm Young – rhythm guitar, backing vocals

Mark Evans – bass guitar

Phil Rudd – drums

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Released in 1978.  Van Halen's first album.  One of my favorite albums.  This is a good version of the album too.  Nice and loud!  the way Michael Anthony (bass) and Alex Van Halen (drums) mesh on this album is so good.  Eddie is just next level on this album.  He's like the Miles Davis or Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)  playing every aspect of the music, the total musician.  He's playing both rhythm and lead guitar, and even spaces in-between.  David Lee Roth is like Mick Jagger, he vocals add a lot to the rhythm, which is not really appreciated enough as to adding to the music.  He sings good on this album too (in the tone), you can hear that on 'Atomic Punk'.  I love 'I'm On Fire' the last song on the album: the riffs are awesome; just a great song!

David Lee Roth -- lead and backing vocals 
Eddie Van Halen -- rhythm and lead guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

On 6/13/2024 at 6:36 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

I've warmed up to this album.   This remaster ain't bad!  This album has some hits on it -- the ballads.  DLR couldn't really do ballads like Sammy can, except for maybe 'I'll Wait' on the album "1984", which isn't really a ballad per se, but it's got some emotion to it.  'Dreams' is one of those lightning in a bottle songs.  'Summer Nights' is a cool song.  I like the sound of Alex Van Halen's drums on this album, they sound very meticulously recorded.  This album definitely goes in the direction of tone and harmony since Sammy is such a great singer.  '5150' is a cool song.  I like Eddie's lead guitar solo in 'Good Enough', it's compact and brilliant with little deliberate rushes (ahead of the beat) in there too.

Sammy Hagar -- lead and backing vocals, acoustic guitar
Eddie Van Halen -- rhythm & lead guitar, keyboards, backing vocals 

The framing of the catalog of songs with the police code 5150 is pretty interesting, isn’t it? 

Released in 1972.  Excellent vinyl version.  One of my favorite albums.  I love how Jon Lord adds to the rhythm section with the organ -- it gives it a thick and heavy sound.  Ritchie Blackmore is on fire on this album on guitar -- I love his lead guitar solos.  Roger Glover is one of my favorite bass guitar players, I love his tone on this album too.  Jon Lord is just a genius level organ player.  Ian Paice too, one of my favorite drummers.  'Lazy' is amazing.  Ian Gillan doesn't get enough credit for his vocals -- I can definitely tell Rob Halford from Judas Priest was a fan.  'Space Truckin' is a great album ender.  I can almost hear just the slightest touch of Jerry Garcia in Ricthie Blackmore's lead guitar solos sometimes, 'Pictures of Home' is a good example of this.  I can tell Thin Lizzy loved the dual lead guitar in 'Highway Star'.  

Ian Gillan – lead and backing vocals
Ritchie Blackmore – rhythm and lead guitar

Jon Lord – organ, keyboards
Roger Glover – bass guitar
Ian Paice – drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

One of Priest's more Hard Rock albums than Metal.   Sounds great on vinyl.  I like Rob Halford's vocals on this album.  I love the song 'On the Run'.  I can tell the chorus of 'Troubleshooter' influenced the chorus of their later song 'Blood Red Skies'.  This album is fun and has grown on me over the years.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)

Released in 1972.  One of my favorite albums.  Nice and loud too!  I like how this album is Hard Rock with just a touch of Progressive Rock.  This version almost sounds like a remaster.  One vinyl to boot!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)

Nice remaster!  One of my favorite albums.  I love Pete Way's bass playing (including bass lines and bass tone) on this album.   Andy Parker is a great drummer too, technical and compact at the same time -- minimalistic without being too minimalistic.  'Queen of the Deep' is an amazing song.

Phil Mogg – lead and backing vocals
Michael Schenker – rhythm and lead guitar
Pete Way – bass guitar
Andy Parker – drums, percussion

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Lately been listening to 80s funk music again, I love it, my mom always played music like this when I was a kid so it always brings good feelings. Feels so inspiring, like uplifting and sweet and funky. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

I didn't know one of Michael Jackson's had his own music too. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture