Dharma, 90 Day Fiancee, and Invasions

Aware Wolf

I started watching 90 Day Fiancee after it was recommended by a friend of mine who said she liked it because it was interesting to see people from often two different cultures pair up and the assumptions people made. 

What struck me watching season one was the delusions involved. A relationship where the guy didn't speak English, was from a different religion who didn't like his fiancee drinking, and her boys hated him. Well, this shouldn't last long. What boxes does Marcel check off for her? He's breathing?

Still, by the end, this couple grew on me. And I googled them and they're still together after years and expecting a child. In fact all the couples from season one are still married. 

Then there's the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. There's a lesson of delusion to be learned here too, how surrounding yourself with sycophants and yes-men can boomerang on ya. Russia expected to walk-in and be greeted as liberators. There's stories of finding dress uniforms as if the Russians expected to drive in and in the evening have a victory parade. One truck for supplies had riot police helmets and plastic batons as if the Russians expected only a civil disruption. 

This type of delusion of surrounding yourself with sycophants happens with gurus and ashrams too. 

My take away is to try and believe in as many true things as I can, and as few false things. Systems should allow for different opinions. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha