Some Recommended Books, Movies & Teachings

You can tell Derrida was heavily influenced by the later Wittgenstein and Nietzsche.  I consider Derrida to be probably the most recent great Western Philosopher.  You can tell he was influenced by Husserl too in his method of deconstruction where he's "bracketing" meaning and giving a phenomenology of language.  See the video I posted of Husserl above.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

You can see how Spinoza was influenced by Plato's Theory of Forms.  Spinoza defines God as Being-Mind due to influence of Plato's theory of "Divine Intellect" basically.  God (The One as the Whole) is like a 1 Coin that has Divine Being on one side and Divine Intellect on the other.  Spinoza's theory of God as "Absolute Infinity" captures this.  I'm almost certain Spinoza loved this Platonic dialogue!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

This is a great intro to Plato and Western Philosophy more generally.  I'm almost certain Plato was influenced by Indian Philosophy.  There's some similarities to Advaita Vedanta in Plato.  He gives a theory of Divine Intellect or Mind -- which is where he differs from Advaita Vedanta.  You can see how Jung was influenced by Plato.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Woah -- Anaximander was so far ahead of his time!  The Infinite!  The Unlimited!  This is 6th Century BC.  It's got a nonduality flavor too.  Anaximander is definitely not a materialist.  Anaximander and Pythagoras seem like they were influenced by Indian Philosophy.  I can see how Epicurus may have been influenced by Pythagoras.  Heraclitus and Pythagoras are way ahead of their time.

ChatGPT links -- Compare Anaximander and Nonduality:

https://chatgpt.com/share/8c951bcb-d2c1-43cf-a430-a0e10a4457e7

https://chatgpt.com/share/af03c78f-87b2-4836-902e-3661192f4a99

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Xenophanes and Heraclitus are both pretty amazing for 6th Century BC: 600 BC to 501 BC.  Xenophanes' view on God is way ahead of its time.  You can see how Nietzsche was probably influenced by Heraclitus.  Heraclitus (c. 535–475 BC) almost seems like he was influenced by Taoism and Chinese Philosophy and is way ahead of his time too.  You can see how Spinoza was most likely influenced by Xenophanes' Infinite and Nondual God. 

ChatGPT Link -- More on Xenophanes

https://chatgpt.com/share/13e3b12f-a051-40de-b052-cee4eb1763bf

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)

I kinda do agree that you can teach a great intro to Philosophy just by going through the Presocratics.  I love that!  

Empedocles (c. 494–434 BCE) is way ahead of his time!  He seems like he may have had access to Chinese Philosophy and the principle of Yin vs./and Yang.  He seems like he could have been influenced by  Heraclitus (c. 535–475 BCE).  Nice early attempt to relate or marry Order vs./and Chaos by Empedocles.  Nice account of Love vs./and Strife.  Unity vs./and Plurality too.  He's like an early Kant in the sense he is attempting to synthesize Parmenides (Rationalism) with Heraclitus (Empiricism).

Anaxagoras' (c. 500–428 BCE) Nous might be the single most influential idea in Western Philosophy.  

ChatGPT -- Anaxagoras' Nous

https://chatgpt.com/share/5f475c3e-db4b-45ea-864b-c4029d7876c0

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)

Two areas I haven't really posted any videos on are the Cynics and the Cyrenaics.  I haven't found a great video that I love that covers these yet.

So, ChatGPT saves the day fills in the gap -- The Ancient Greek Cynics and Cyrenaics:

https://chatgpt.com/share/323f51a6-4caa-4514-8262-c19c8aefcadb

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

Posted (edited)

This is the best video I've seen on the Ancient Greek Sophists.  The Sophists are usually presented too superficially and negatively by intellectuals.  This video shows that's a shallow and sort of biased interpretation.  

If you make your living teaching philosophy, it's going to go to far into danger-zone to be too friendly toward those who are attacking the foundation of everything you're attached to.

Gorgias (c. 485–c. 380 BCE) is way ahead of his time.  You can see how Derrida kinda comes out of Gorgias.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍