A beginners guide to psychedelic integration

Integration seems to be becoming a bit of a buzzword within the psychedelic community these days, but I have noticed that a lot of people don't seem to understand what this process actually is, and even more concerning is that grifter wantrepreneur types are trying to cash in on it.

So I have made this "integration 101" video which combines lots of advice that I have picked up over the years into a (hopefully) easy to follow guide. I hope you find it useful.

My YouTube channel - Adeptus Psychonautica

@Adeptus Psychonautica

Well done m8. I'm a big fan. Is this video a pivot? If so, I like it. I think you've got a voice in the dharma community. I can understand you might be reluctant to set yourself up here as the newest Internet Buddha. 

Your introduction and criticism of Integration coaches reminds me of Sturgeons Law: 90% of everything is bullshit. 

I smiled when you warned about integrating a belief that one is has messianic powers and can cure all diseases of mankind and want to jump on social media and make this claim. Hmmm. This reminds me of someone.  

I think also that this Integration is not just for psychedelic experiences. It's also apropos for spiritual awakenings. I say often the same things you're saying. about an awakening. Christopher Titmuss says one should wait a year and a day before making any spiritual attainment claims. I like Shantideva who was a great Tibetan mystic but his fellow monks thought his great realizations were sleeping, eating, and shitting. Your warning to avoid extraordinary claims or attainments works for spiritual awakenings as much as psychedelic ones. 

Adyashanti says it takes 5-10 years after an awakening. to get a full handle it. He says that there's realization, stabilization, and integration. In other words, integration is a long play. There's more gates. The model isn't necessarily linear (after the first realization). Stabilize what you've got. Integrate. Stabilize some more. Do something different if you feel called to. If you’re a vipassana guy or gal, try a yoga retreat. Doing something physical is probably a great idea. Go for a hike. Don't ignore the Body. Have a sense of humor. Practice equanimity. Have a sense of wonder. Be kind. Journaling can be very useful here as you point out. 

I put a lot of emphasis on mindfulness as without mindfulness it's often hard to actualize anything in daily life. If you decide you'd like to be kinder -- wiithout mindfulness off the meditation mat -- you're unlikely to apply kindness when an opportunity arises spur of the moment. Although you could carry a reminder as a flash card or on your phone. When you see the reminder, apply kindfulness. Being less angry, is harder to do, as when anger arises, you've got to engage mindfulness to temper anger right then. 

Reflection you also touch upon. For your example, lose some weight -- a diet can be example of integration. All diets work. But often all diets don't work long-term. Reflection would allow investigation into nutrition expert advice. Although my God, there's a lot of chaff out there in the diet world (it's comparable to the spiritual world) and this would take a long time to sort out the good advice from bad. I like your talk of being a person on the Path. What we're seeking is not a month juice diet or even a six month diet program -- but a lifelong adjustment towards our relationship with food. Not an easy task at all. 

I know @Adeptus Psychonauticayou're rightfully  wary of coaches or gurus, but still presenting I might consider a post-awakening report to a legit teacher with past history and what has happened, beliefs and thoughts on it, and my future plans: This is what I did. This is what happened. My thoughts on it are as follows... This is my plan going forward... Do you have any advice? 

What I might also do is crowd source it out. Ask different teachers and long time practitioners what they think. This could be interesting. You’re liable to get widely variable insight and advice. I like you present yourself as being available for this, and with no charge. Kudos here. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

@Aware Wolf Yeah its certainly not my intention to become any kind of (I shudder at the word) "teacher". This is just me sharing the stuff that I do, that I picked up from my various travels. I view it more rational common sense rather than any kind of mystical teaching.

I wasn't sure what you meant by the video being "a pivot" ? 

Maybe pivot isn't the word here.

It just feels a bit like this video is applicable to more than just psychedelics use. I think it is. It's useful to anyone dealing with post-awakening or a spiritual experience. We need more people who are grounded, have a sense of humor,  and teach common sense. 

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha

@Aware Wolf Oh I'm sure it could be applied to other areas just like how I mention new years resolutions in the video. To be honest though I prefer to keep in my wheel house of psychedelics because that's where my experience is, I don't want to end up like a certain someone who claims to be an expert on absolutely everything. 🙂

Werner Herzog Halloween GIF by Arrow Video