Why do I Argue with Myself?

Orb

A weird phenomenon I notice is I argue with myself. 

Like I'll have mental dialogues between "me" and someone else, but that someone else is of course my imagination, and the 2 apparent selves are arguing and it doesn't feel good. 

Why does this happen?

Do you experience this?

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

@Phil it's literally inner conflict. Like the "me" in the dialogue is seeking to be understood, and the "other" refuses to listen to me. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Orb

Does understanding or being understood lead to feeling better or being without cognitive dissonance or conflicting thoughts & emotions?

No it's only temporary at best.

@Phil feeling less stress and letting go of thoughts. 

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Orb

First what’s the stress about? That’s emptying what’s already arisen. 

But also, what is causing stress in immediate direct experience right now? As in not thoughts about other places, times, or hypotheticals but in direct experience right now.

Well the argumentative thoughts arose earlier this morning. I think it's simply too much caffeine consumed. 

I woke up super excited at 5am to start the day and had a cup of coffee, but 30 mins later I started to feel irritated and then stressed out as if I was going through a rough situation even though it's my day off and everything's alright.

Try half calf. I think it’s more than that though. 

A lot of times the underlying conflict is a hypersensitivity to responsibility and of being at fault. The mind tends to cling to one side of a paradox because the emptying is difficult emotionally. Any expression is clarifying and unfettering. 

Also sounds like noticing how thoughts feel, not per se being in the situation thoughts are about. So that’s nice. Pretty easy to appreciate. 

16 hours ago, Phil said:

Try half calf. I think it’s more than that though. 

A lot of times the underlying conflict is a hypersensitivity to responsibility and of being at fault. The mind tends to cling to one side of a paradox because the emptying is difficult emotionally. Any expression is clarifying and unfettering. 

Also sounds like noticing how thoughts feel, not per se being in the situation thoughts are about. So that’s nice. Pretty easy to appreciate. 

I had green tea today instead of coffee and the difference was night and day! 

No freakouts, no energy crashes, did great at work today, broke my own personal record on the sales side.