What Makes You Unhappy

Devin

What do you think seems to be the barrier for Joy, happiness, complete satisfaction with life?

Isn't it the thought that you need to do something, that once you get the approval of others or some specific people that then you'll be at peace. Well I suggest you contemplate this, if they love you why do you feel the need to do something for that love, if they loved you you wouldn't need to do anything for it, and if they don't love you will there ever really be anything you can do to actually attain what you seek from them?

You might say they just want you to succeed, and in a way that's true, the problem is what they and you think of success, usually material gain and status.

Here's something to think about, imagine all of the world lives in cute little English cottage type homes, with just the bare bones necessities, do you think people could be satisfied and happy like that? Of course, so why does everyone want so much more? We need very little, but there's a sickness, call it greed or envy, but that's the 'success' they ignorantly want for you, and it's easy to see there's no satisfied end to it, there's no point where you reach acceptance or love in that ignorance.

You can just enjoy now, sure work on getting in a better life position, but you'll never achieve satisfaction or happiness because it doesn't require achieving. 

I'd say a significant amount of suffering comes from making whatever is happening or happened about me. 

The less a separate self is blamed or expected to hold the burden of life's challenges, the more peace is there. 

"Mediocrity is gone. Mind is clear of limitation. I seek no state of enlightenment. Neither do I remain where no enlightenment exists. Since I linger in neither condition, eyes cannot see me. If hundreds of birds strew my path with flowers, such praise would be meaningless."

A Comment on the 8th Ox Herding Picture

5 hours ago, Devin said:

What do you think seems to be the barrier for Joy, happiness, complete satisfaction with life?

Isn't it the thought that you need to do something, that once you get the approval of others or some specific people that then you'll be at peace. Well I suggest you contemplate this, if they love you why do you feel the need to do something for that love, if they loved you you wouldn't need to do anything for it, and if they don't love you will there ever really be anything you can do to actually attain what you seek from them?

You might say they just want you to succeed, and in a way that's true, the problem is what they and you think of success, usually material gain and status.

Here's something to think about, imagine all of the world lives in cute little English cottage type homes, with just the bare bones necessities, do you think people could be satisfied and happy like that? Of course, so why does everyone want so much more? We need very little, but there's a sickness, call it greed or envy, but that's the 'success' they ignorantly want for you, and it's easy to see there's no satisfied end to it, there's no point where you reach acceptance or love in that ignorance.

You can just enjoy now, sure work on getting in a better life position, but you'll never achieve satisfaction or happiness because it doesn't require achieving. 

Achieving an understanding beyond what people choose to believe possible and discovering the one thing physically never possible that exists in plain sight all the time.

Balancing outcomes never exceeding occupying space as one reproduction living in series parallel sequences of only evolving forward now since conceived one at a time and 8 billion living same as self under separate social circumstances sustained by spontaneously here simultaneously now.

The simplicity of the whole is equal to total sum of each part.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:46 PM, Phil said:

It doesn’t typically seem to be noticed that unhappiness comes & goes and always has a reason while happiness never actually comes or goes but seems to be mentally projected onto results and outcomes. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

You're talking of happiness and unhappiness as if they were impersonal, detached from you, as if the source of responsibility for experiencing either one of them lied outside one's self.

My claim is that unhappiness is caused by you. And yes, it serves a purpose. Happiness may result when being completely engaged in the moment with whatever one is experiencing, no matter what it is. On the other hand, resisting experience causes misery.

Pretty much nobody knows what happiness is. Good question to ponder.

Edited by MetaSage

@Phil

14 hours ago, MetaSage said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

You're talking of happiness and unhappiness as if they were impersonal, detached from you, as if the source of responsibility for experiencing either one of them lied outside one's self.

My claim is that unhappiness is caused by you. And yes, it serves a purpose. Happiness may result when being completely engaged in the moment with whatever one is experiencing, no matter what it is. On the other hand, resisting experience causes misery.

Pretty much nobody knows what happiness is. Good question to ponder.

Either you're being cute or the way you talked about them ("comes & goes") sounds like an "impersonal" affair. As if one didn't have a say in the matter. I wanted to point out that responsibility in the matter is key. They don't come and go but they're generated by you.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, Phil said:

It doesn’t typically seem to be noticed that unhappiness comes & goes and always has a reason while happiness never actually comes or goes but seems to be mentally projected onto results and outcomes. 

@MetaSage

Thanks for the clarification.  I’m not suggesting happiness and  unhappiness come & go, only that unhappiness comes & goes (and unhappiness always has a reason).

Interpretation (the reason) is prior to (what’s referred to as) the objective world. This is irreversible, and / but is already perfection. It’s how creation is created / happening / is the creator. There’s a lengthy explanation & spherical illustration on this (interpretation) in one of the last two Zoom videos posted on YouTube if interested. 

It’s not that happiness is impersonal, it’s that happiness is appearing as the thought ‘people’, and the thoughts personal & impersonal. Another way to put it, happiness is infinite, which just means no finite, so there is not really people, personal & impersonal, there is / are apparently the thoughts that there are these separate things.

Happiness, being infinite, is neither personal or impersonal, but just is - happiness. Similarly, given certain thoughts, the emotion of hatred comes & goes, while love never comes and never goes. 

Another approach is noticing that while experience (thought & perception) appears to change such as a new car, a new house, a new relationship etc… it is always the very same happiness / love. The happiness / love (that which the words point to) never changes and is never changed. This is what was meant by happiness being mentally projected into results and outcomes (experience). Happiness / love is never really / actually mentally projected… the projection / believing just makes it seem so. Then it actually seems like happiness is coming from a car, house, relationship / other, etc, etc (experience). 

It might also be clarifying (idk) to point out / consider there’s very literally no one here typing or saying anything. So there isn’t the ‘self’ / ‘you’ which anything could actually be attached to or which could detach from anything. Therein unhappiness isn’t something caused by a ‘self’ / ‘you’, and unhappiness has no source, but is just a word pointing communicatively to how some thoughts feel. Not how a you feels, how some thoughts feel. There can certainly be the thought ‘I’m unhappy’, but there is never the ‘self’ that thought is about. 

The ‘you’ (separate self of thought) is a thought, as is responsibility, generating and or purpose. Happiness is appearing as these thoughts / this narrative about there being a separate-of-happiness ‘self’. Only the word / belief ‘purpose’ is “needed” for the overlooking of happiness / infinite / truth / love. What is infinite is inherently free of purpose, as that would require something else, something finite. Infinite just means no finite, like nonduality just means not two. 

On 8/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, Phil said:

@MetaSage

Thanks for the clarification.  I’m not suggesting happiness and  unhappiness come & go, only that unhappiness comes & goes (and unhappiness always has a reason).

Interpretation (the reason) is prior to (what’s referred to as) the objective world. This is irreversible, and / but is already perfection. It’s how creation is created / happening / is the creator. There’s a lengthy explanation & spherical illustration on this (interpretation) in one of the last two Zoom videos posted on YouTube if interested. 

It’s not that happiness is impersonal, it’s that happiness is appearing as the thought ‘people’, and the thoughts personal & impersonal. Another way to put it, happiness is infinite, which just means no finite, so there is not really people, personal & impersonal, there is / are apparently the thoughts that there are these separate things.

Happiness, being infinite, is neither personal or impersonal, but just is - happiness. Similarly, given certain thoughts, the emotion of hatred comes & goes, while love never comes and never goes. 

Another approach is noticing that while experience (thought & perception) appears to change such as a new car, a new house, a new relationship etc… it is always the very same happiness / love. The happiness / love (that which the words point to) never changes and is never changed. This is what was meant by happiness being mentally projected into results and outcomes (experience). Happiness / love is never really / actually mentally projected… the projection / believing just makes it seem so. Then it actually seems like happiness is coming from a car, house, relationship / other, etc, etc (experience). 

It might also be clarifying (idk) to point out / consider there’s very literally no one here typing or saying anything. So there isn’t the ‘self’ / ‘you’ which anything could actually be attached to or which could detach from anything. Therein unhappiness isn’t something caused by a ‘self’ / ‘you’, and unhappiness has no source, but is just a word pointing communicatively to how some thoughts feel. Not how a you feels, how some thoughts feel. There can certainly be the thought ‘I’m unhappy’, but there is never the ‘self’ that thought is about. 

The ‘you’ (separate self of thought) is a thought, as is responsibility, generating and or purpose. Happiness is appearing as these thoughts / this narrative about there being a separate-of-happiness ‘self’. Only the word / belief ‘purpose’ is “needed” for the overlooking of happiness / infinite / truth / love. What is infinite is inherently free of purpose, as that would require something else, something finite. Infinite just means no finite, like nonduality just means not two. 

I need to look into this.

Translated it into Spanish but still... 😛