Struggling with studying for college - need advice

Someone here

I just now checked my midterm exam's results and I failed for the third time in a row in the same subject. It's as if I can't pass this subject. I just hate it. I hate my field of study which is business. I feel like I'm forced to memorize shit that isn't interesting to me at all. I will probably end up working in McDonald's or some other cappy wage slave job. I Need advice in how to make my studying more enjoyable and not just an obligation, a pain in the ass that I need to get through with unease. 

On the practical side…

What’s required is only more time spent studying. 

Eat light, and don’t eat late.

Get enough sleep. 

Get feelin good first. 

Get some exercise first. 

Ideally, meditate first. 

Studying…

Set a timer for maybe 45 minute increments. 

Take a break and make sure to get up and move around. Go outside. 

Minimize distractions. 

Write down a goal on a notecard, put it in front of you, use it to get re-focused. The smallest goal possible. Accomplish it. Then write another. Keep em small

Slow down and take the time on any subjects or sub-sections that aren’t clicking. Write it down - don’t just think it. Write it, see it. It clicks faster & deeper. 

Search YouTube for an explanation of anything you feel ‘stuck’ on. Often hearing it said a different way can make all the difference. 

Read everything out loud & explain out loud what you just read as if you were teaching it. 

Make one page just for formulas, equations and the like. Label that the ‘Memory’ page. Every study session, write then first (again). By exam time, you’ll be able to write it all down from memory and it will make more than half the exam incredibly easier. 

Some study best in silence, some with music on or background noise. Of you don’t know, try both and see the difference. 

Also, move around. Don’t continue to study for hours on end in the same place. Stand at the kitchen counter, sit on the porch, a cafe, etc.

Also - utilize a tutor. They’re abundantly available on line and this can also make all the difference. Talking anything through with anyone clarifies the subject at hand.  

*If you’re using software / a course program… after reading the units, queue up a practice exam, immediately click any answer, and then read only the right answer & the rationale. This shaves off the 3/4ths time of reading answers that aren’t even right, and utilizes the practice quizes as flash cards. (After, take the practice quizzes to make sure the right answers are remembered).

Psychologically, physiologically, emotionally…

If there is impatience, sense of urgency… write whatever comes to mind that you want to do or would rather be doing down as a to do list. 

Affirm a few times that there is no rush, plenty of time, and that you will do that. 

You can do this, and that. It’s not a one or the other situation. 

Dig deep, and recognize that this is what you want to be doing and you are fully capable of completely, actually, enjoying it. It is interesting. Allow interest. 

Bring the ‘bigger picture’ to mind. It opens doors. It creates opportunities. New acquaintances will come of this. New experiences beyond what comes to mind today. 

If you haven’t, try some natural studying enhancing supplements like vitamin B, L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine, and or Pharma Gabba. 

There truly is no failure. You’ve only gotten closer to passing. You will! You’re closer than ever!

There is ‘the lion’ within you. Stuff like this provokes it, draws it out, awakens it. It’s most worthwhile. Do not give up. 

Zen of Studying…

Never attempt to ‘force’, ‘push through’, ‘man up’, etc. 

Doesn’t work. 

Run through the emotional scale and or do yoga or breath-work first. 

Get feeling good and then. 

Assign no fault to no self when the chips are down (‘failed’), take no credit when the chips are up (getting practice questions ‘right’, etc)… 

and studying is enjoyable. The Good feeling is yourself and is present in both scenarios. Only thought could make You seem not so.  

The activity of studying is actually meditation…

The reactive, habit of hurry, impatience, future arises…. the response, peace, patience, presence is felt. 

And a yoga…

Contraction is noticed / felt - and relaxation / de-contraction is allowed. 

The experience of learning something is really just the icing on the cake. 

Breathe into deep stretches while studying and or on breaks. Oxygenate. Dopamize. 

Incase you haven’t noticed, the bottom line, what all the suggestions point to is - enjoying it. That’s the key, the “open secret”. 

Counter to enjoying it (discord/suffering) - is what you’re really struggling with: I failed, I can’t pass, I hate, I’m forced, isn’t interesting to me, wage slave job, an obligation, pain in the ass, I need, unease. But you aren’t even actually struggling with discord/suffering…, because those are thoughts about. Without those thoughts, there’s no discord/suffering, only enjoyment. 

6 hours ago, Someone here said:

I just now checked my midterm exam's results and I failed for the third time in a row in the same subject. It's as if I can't pass this subject. I just hate it. I hate my field of study which is business. I feel like I'm forced to memorize shit that isn't interesting to me at all. I will probably end up working in McDonald's or some other cappy wage slave job. I Need advice in how to make my studying more enjoyable and not just an obligation, a pain in the ass that I need to get through with unease. 

don't give worry or thinking about the end result, before it even happened. Turn your concerns toward What do you have to finish on your plate ''for now'' and do that, to make studying enjoyable you can explore different study mode methods with music, atmosphere re-arrangement or just a change of tools you use to influence better performance. 

Apparently,, ''failure is the mother of success'' and if you're already familiar with failure, then so too you deserve and will be familiar to Success. 

Humour can help as well so if you can laugh at yourself over stressing out and really know you got this anyway! which is true, it helps.

List 2 things you're grateful about the failures btw, as crazy it sounds, what did you get out of those moments? It surely taught something, even just the experience of it shows a strong character in the making for this whole subject and process.

Best of luck 🙏

20 hours ago, Phil said:

Incase you haven’t noticed, the bottom line, what all the suggestions point to is - enjoying it. That’s the key, the “open secret”. 

Counter to enjoying it (discord/suffering) - is what you’re really struggling with: I failed, I can’t pass, I hate, I’m forced, isn’t interesting to me, wage slave job, an obligation, pain in the ass, I need, unease. But you aren’t even actually struggling with discord/suffering…, because those are thoughts about. Without those thoughts, there’s no discord/suffering, only enjoyment. 

Can you elaborate on this please? 

@Someone here

It’s the same thing with exercise and that might be a clarifying example. People exercise and it feels great. The runner’s high, even more so. People wonder about that great feeling, and thoughts arise as labels and so it’s dopamine, serotonin, etc. But when no thoughts arise it’s super obvious the awesomeness felt is what’s appearing as this body.

So the overall theme, the key to success wether passing that exam or anything else in life, is the not-working-against-the-grain of feeling. Actually enjoying it. Enjoyment is the greatest wisdom, and it’s a now-or-not-now situation. 

Put another way, not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be as clear ass possible… the class is great, the material’s great, the exam is great, the whole experience is great, you’re the greatest, literally… and the attitude about the material, class, exam, yourself, could use a lil alignment. To the extent that you actually allow yourself to enjoy it. Non-resistance. For what it’s worth, I’m saying this after just having studied for about 12 hours, and sincerely enjoyed it. Apparently. 

@Phil I think a big part of education is sucking it up and just bearing through it.
To be honest, as much as having fun while studying is great, once you reach college level, a lot of the time you have to just work hard and be disciplined more than having fun.
Sometimes, you'll have classes and papers that are fun to do, but you will always at some point have those times where all you have to rely on is self-discipline. 

P. S may I ask you what do you do for a living (aside from spiritual coaching)? 

@Omar Osama it's called the fundamentals of accounting and marketing. 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

@Phil I think a big part of education is sucking it up and just bearing through it.

The struggle is with that thinkin though. It’s like driving without the engine on. Reading with no light on. The sentiment is all resistance, no enjoyment. 

To be honest, as much as having fun while studying is great, once you reach college level, a lot of the time you have to just work hard and be disciplined more than having fun.

It’s your story either way, why not tell one that resonates? Get’s you plug-in…? 

I also went to college. 

Sometimes, you'll have classes and papers that are fun to do, but you will always at some point have those times where all you have to rely on is self-discipline. 

It’s weird, the rose colored glasses thing. For you, respectfully, that’s an actual thing, and I don’t know what it even is or means. 

P. S may I ask you what do you do for a living (aside from spiritual coaching)? 

After college were licenses and designations. Currently on the 7th. They’re the same as the college courses were. One word at a time. Very enjoyable. 

It’s awakening (not spiritual coaching). 

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Are you experiencing a certain uneasiness or frustration, as if you should be grasping the material but aren’t?

It's worse than that right? Lol

I don't understand the material and I struggle with studying because it's colorless and tasteless and smell-less. It's just brute boring business talk. I don't find the subject interesting to me. I don't love it. And therefore I keep failing at it. 

If i was studying physics or chemistry or philosophy it would be easier for me. Because I love these subjects and I find myself passionate about them. 

19 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I don't understand

Would you agree that that statement is based on there being understanding, or, things which you do understand… making this material seem like something you don’t understand?

(Obviously it seems like that is perfectly accurate but hear me out.)

And then based on the implied or assumed duality (of there being understanding and not understanding), there seems to be a ‘separate self’… the one who does and or doesn’t understand, or understands this but not that, or that but not this.

and I struggle with studying because

Then the narrative arises about that “one”, the “I” which struggles.  

it's colorless and tasteless and smell-less. It's just brute boring business talk. I don't find the subject interesting to me. I don't love it. And therefore I keep failing at it. 

If i was studying physics or chemistry or philosophy it would be easier for me. Because I love these subjects and I find myself passionate about them

Then this would arise as the judgement, and the judgement would be the discord felt. And the discord felt would be counter to the most important aspect for studying - feeling great. But the discord felt is only based on the more fundamental belief understanding is dualistic. So it would be the discord, and not a lack of interest (or lack of anything whatsoever) which would actually be what’s behind not passing the exam.

It’s entirely possible what’s getting in the way of success, is a more fundamental belief about a duality of understanding, and the discord this creates in reinforcing a ‘separate self’ might be going on unnoticed for whatever reason. Essentially, as “understanding” is not an opposite of misunderstanding, but is the greatest feeling possible… you would be pulling the rug out from under yourself so to speak, by removing the most important factor there could possibly be - your actual, true, Self (and for clear communication sake - there is literally no such thing or experience as “understanding”). 

With respect to passing… that make any sense?

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Would you agree that that statement is based on there being understanding, or, things which you do understand… making this material seem like something you don’t understand?

(Obviously it seems like that is perfectly accurate but hear me out.)

And then based on the implied or assumed duality (of there being understanding and not understanding), there seems to be a ‘separate self’… the one who does and or doesn’t understand, or understands this but not that, or that but not this.

Yes I agree with all that. I do understand some stuff obviously because they are simple and not complicated. Like how to tie my shoes or how to use the toilet. And obviously there are stuff that I struggle with understanding like your posts 😅 and how to build a quantum conscious computer . 

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Then this would arise as the judgement, and the judgement would be the discord felt. And the discord felt would be counter to the most important aspect for studying - feeling great. But the discord felt is only based on the more fundamental belief understanding is dualistic. So it would be the discord, and not a lack of interest (or lack of anything whatsoever) which would actually be what’s behind not passing the exam.

It’s entirely possible what’s getting in the way of success, is a more fundamental belief about a duality of understanding, and the discord this creates in reinforcing a ‘separate self’ might be going on unnoticed for whatever reason. Essentially, as “understanding” is not an opposite of misunderstanding, but is the greatest feeling possible… you would be pulling the rug out from under yourself so to speak, by removing the most important factor there could possibly be - your actual, true, Self (and for clear communication sake - there is literally no such thing or experience as “understanding”). 

I understand (hardly) what you're saying but I don't think it applies really to my case. When I have 200 fucking pages to memorize and get to lose my brain cells on.. All that flies out the window. 

The duality between understanding and misunderstanding exist. We understand some tiny fraction of the universe for example but we are ignorant of 90 % of it. 

So I don’t know how would that shift in perspective that you are suggesting help me in acing my studying. 

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

With respect to passing… that make any sense?

Not really. Thanks for your help but honestly don't find what you shared beneficial to my situation. But im open to more clarification. 

Yes I agree with all that. I do understand some stuff obviously because they are simple and not complicated. Like how to tie my shoes or how to use the toilet. And obviously there are stuff that I struggle with understanding like your posts 😅 and how to build a quantum conscious computer . 

What I’m suggesting is still a bit different. I’m suggesting there is an experience of misunderstanding - but there is no actual experience of understanding. 

“Understanding” is actually you (infinite you) not “this other thing which is not me, or which I experience”…called… “understanding”.

The relevance is the difference this would make in terms of studying. 

Another way to point…

Awareness is aware of:

-Thoughts

-Perception

-Sensation

Not - “understanding”. 

“I understand” is not seen (perception), nor sensation… but is only the thought“understanding”, or, “I understand”. 

That thought can be believed.

And that thought can be experienced as is - as, thought. 

I understand (hardly) what you're saying but I don't think it applies really to my case. When I have 200 fucking pages to memorize and get to lose my brain cells on.. All that flies out the window. 

I’m suggesting that an “it” does not fly out the window - that it (the belief in understanding) is feltand is discordant - and that feeling - is the most critical factor with respect to studying

There isn’t something I’m suggesting that you would need to remember, add, be aware of etc (and therefore there isn’t anything which could or would fly out the window). 

I’m suggesting the opposite - that you are holding a belief… and the recognizing of the belief = the belief flying out the window - making the studying not only incredibly more efficient, but also enjoyable.

The duality between understanding and misunderstanding exist. We understand some tiny fraction of the universe for example but we are ignorant of 90 % of it. 

So I don’t know how would that shift in perspective that you are suggesting help me in acing my studying. 

The misunderstanding is - that there is - “understanding”. 

There is an experience of misunderstanding - but there is never an experience of understanding. 

The believed experience of understanding, is the believing that there is me… and… “understanding”. 

You’re you, that is unquestionable, self evident. This “understanding” is an assumption. 

If you have it (understanding) - literally -  where?

For some context, the reason this 12 hours a day of studying is perfectly enjoyable is because there is no belief ‘here’ in understanding. There is “basking in Feeling” if you will. (This communication kind of requires being very careful not to add in the assumption, that you do or don’t understand what I’m saying.) 

Not sure if this helps the communication but understanding is like unicorn. Like if someone was saying “my unicorn”. Well, where is it?

There would not be a ‘unicorn that there is no unicorn’. (Understanding that there is no understanding)

There already isn’t a unicorn. There already and never was - “understanding”. 

Not sure but maybe an example would help. 2 + 2 = 7. That would be a misunderstanding. An experience of misunderstanding.

There is no experience of a you, or a self, of a “misunderstander”. 

There is just an experience of misunderstanding. 

There is the experience of misunderstanding… but there is no experience of anyone misunderstanding. 

That would not be you misunderstanding, or your misunderstanding… it would just be as it is - an experience of misunderstanding. 

2 + 2 = 4.

2 plus 2 does equal 4. 

-BUT There is no experience happening right now of  “understanding”. 

If it seems like there is - well, again - where is it?

-“Well yeah because I learned that when I was like 5 years old”.

- There is no experience of that happening right now. It’s an assumption there is a separate self “a learner” or “who learned”. 

-There was (as a concession to time) an experience of learning - but there wasn’t someone who learned. There never was. There isn’t right now

I wonder if using the terms ‘makes sense’ and ‘doesn’t make sense’ would resonate and clarify. 🤷 

@Someone here

(Just want to preface 😅… This isn’t about semantics, nor is it about what you say on this forum or how you say it or anything like that at all. Imo you’re good 👍🏼 speak freely, always. There is no fault implied whatsoever.)

It’s about discord (not conducive) and alignment (highly conducive) relative to the studying. 

The single most important factor to success in studying, in everything - is Feeling. 

No one can “get more feeling”. 

Any one can uncover, unfetter, un-obscure Feeling. 

Feeling = Infinite Intelligence. Feeling is unconditional. 

There is not Feeling AND understanding. 

The belief in understanding OBSCURES Feeling. 

‘My understanding’, or simply that there is understanding = ego. (Like unicorn - no one’s ever actually seen understanding, ‘it’ literally doesn’t exist).

There are not two; understander and understood, nor me & my understanding. 

‘I failed, I can’t pass, I hate, I hate, I feel like I’m forced, shit, isn’t interesting to me, I will probably end up… crappy, wage slave job, I need, studying is an obligation, a pain, I need, get through.’

All of these thoughts are discordant. These thoughts are (more or less, to some extent) believed to be true… based on… understanding. 

(For clarities sake…) Who cares about all that! 

All you really care about is how you feel! 

And there’s a damn good reason why that is. 

Feeling is not two - Feeling & Feeling would still be Feeling. 

Feeling = Existence. 

Feeling = You. Self. Real You - not hindsight thoughts about an understander  (that’s ego - unicorn). 

Feeling Is Infinite (it just seems like it’s inside the body because of thoughts that it is)

What does this have to do with understanding?

Exactly as much as it has to do with a unicorn. 

Feeling is not a duality. There is not Feeling and this other thing… 

Understanding is a duality. It’s the activity of thoughts - an assumption - not an actual thing that exists (same as unicorn). 

Because understanding is a belief, that belief (like all beliefs) obscures Feeling. 

We could say at the most fundamental ‘level’ - the belief in ‘understanding’ most obscures - identity. Which is - Feeling. 

Unconditional Feeling. 

Feeling (infinite) = Intelligence (infinite).

Feeling (not a duality) = Intelligence (not a duality).

Believing in understanding = ‘cutting yourself off’ from Feeling (Yourself) Intelligence. 

Feeling / Intelligence = enjoying studying, and that is ALL the difference… and again… it’s actually ALL you care about - ‘how you feel’, which is actually Feeling, You. 

@Phil  is studying supposed to be enjoyable? Or is it supposed to be a training for the mind ? 

Is everything in life supposed to feel good ? If I joined the military..am I supposed to enjoy that shit ?

What you say does make sense ..but my only problem is 

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Who cares about all that! 

Of course I have to care about understanding if I want to have a uni degree and get a good job .

5 hours ago, Someone here said:

@Phil  is studying supposed to be enjoyable?

The single greatest factor to success is alignment, happiness, enjoying life. All One in the same. 

But ultimately of course it’s up to you. 

Or is it supposed to be a training for the mind ? 

Supposed is synonymous with assumed. Yes, it seems it is assumed to be training for ‘the mind’. (Which understands allegedly). 

The evidence for the existence of a mind, which now / experience is being reduced to unenjoyable for, is equal to the evidence of the existence of a unicorn. 

Is everything in life supposed to feel good ?

Is everything in life assumed to feel good…

On 4/14/2023 at 3:23 PM, Someone here said:

Apparently not. It does seem that everything in life is assumed to not feel good. To be a problem for a self. 

The assumptions, the activity of thought, are made of the greatest feeling there could ever be. Self. 

If I joined the military..am I supposed to enjoy that shit ?

How does that thought feel? 

That’s indicative of direct experience. 

What you say does make sense ..but my only problem is 

Of course I have to care about understanding if I want to have a uni degree and get a good job .

That there is understanding is an assumption based on that there is a separate self. 

If you’d never heard the word understanding, it’d not be possible to believe. 

You’re not enjoying your life based on an assumption, on behalf of a unicorn, or, for that which doesn’t actually exist. 

The believing in understanding is actually delusion. Insanity. It’s an assumed duality of identity. 

Understanding is neither known nor actually experienced, because it is yourself. 

When experiencing studying, first take ten minutes to run through the emotional scale, to clear out, empty.

There is no way to consciousness (happiness). 

There is only releasing whatever seems true but is discordant, or, unenjoyable.

Notice while studying, there is no understanding or mind or self which can be pointed to. 

Notice these beliefs are experienced, but what the thoughts are about is not actually present. 

This is uncovering self, you, synonymous with presence. 

There is only the apparent experience. A happening if you will.

This.  

is studying supposed to be enjoyable?

I've done a ton of studying in my years and it's not the studying (or any action) that can make you miserable, but your thoughts "about" the studying that can. If you believe that studying is hard and terrible, then this is your starting point when studying and it probably gets worse from there. Which will lead you to feel bad while studying and cause more thoughts that you hate it. See the problem? 

It is possible to see this and decide to go into feeling/thinking neutral about it and just sit down and study. Loving it may never happen, but accepting it as necessary can, therefore ending the misery surrounding it. 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.