The Luggage Analogy

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The flight is sleep.

The luggage is discordant thoughts.

The 'your' of 'your luggage' is attachment.

The 'you' of 'you go on a flight' is suffering.

👍 I’ll add something to consider.  I welcome any challenge to this too of course..  Chasing positive feeling is a kind of luggage too.  What happens when that doesn’t go your way?  You suffer, right?  Then what do you do, you feel incomplete and recognize a problem and try to solve it.  That brings you right into that kind of game of dissatisfaction, which is suffering.  Awakening can’t hinge on feeling for this reason.  You don’t have control over feeling.  Chasing pleasant feeling is really sneaky.  I’m very aware of this issue.  “Brahman is fearless … the enlightened man has nothing to be afraid of.” — Adi Shankara, Commentary on Upanishads

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍

47 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

👍 I’ll add something to consider.  I welcome any challenge to this too of course..  Chasing positive feeling is a kind of luggage too.  What happens when that doesn’t go your way?  You suffer, right?  Then what do you do, you feel incomplete and recognize a problem and try to solve it.  That brings you right into that kind of game of dissatisfaction, which is suffering.  Awakening can’t hinge on feeling for this reason.  You don’t have control over feeling.  Chasing pleasant feeling is really sneaky.  I’m very aware of this issue.  “Brahman is fearless … the enlightened man has nothing to be afraid of.” — Adi Shankara, Commentary on Upanishads

This is the discordant luggage referred to. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

The flight is sleep.

The luggage is discordant thoughts.

The 'your' of 'your luggage' is attachment.

The 'you' of 'you go on a flight' is suffering.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

🧳 🧳 ⬆️ 

Try communicating without presuming duality.  It's the nature of the medium.  That's not a bug, that's a feature of Maya.  It's as natural as it could come.  Who is the subject and who is the object?  What is said is already an illusion right out of the box.  If it's understood by the Mind, it's missing the mark of the Self (knowledge).  If it's felt by the Body it's missing the mark of the Self (feeling).  Maya is like thinking you're going to make a career as a professional gambler.  You're betting on things going your way which is a huge presumption.  It's worth a try, but my experience suggests that's not quite the Way, as tempting as it might appear to be like a City in the Sky (metaphor credit: Shankara).  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

💬 🗯️🤍