On 1/12/2024 at 12:33 PM, Phil said:

“You can slow down and enjoy now, or get all worked up, throw a tantrum, fall apart and inevitably cry like a baby. You’re pick. Either way I’m appearing as the lens claiming there is fear & love”

- Love

Parachute day? 

Youtube Channel  

On 10/1/2022 at 7:36 AM, Phil said:

The truth is you are never going to be happy because it simply, fundamentally & literally is not possible. You’re never going to be aware. You’re never going to be conscious. You’re never going to be awake. You will never actually be kind, selfless, loving, whole or good because it’s impossible. 

Clearly and concisely stated.  

@Jonas Long @WhiteOwl 

You'd likely not find ruthless approaches such as Rinzai zen useful nor would you seriously consider their reasoning for teaching that way, as they wouldn't fit your expectations, preferences and worldviews.

People prefer likeable and agreeable teachers and for them to spoon-feed you lovey-dovey stuff -that's much preferred over plain honesty, specifically when it fits their image of what a guru should be and behave like. Not saying it's necessarily the case here, although the point I'm making applies more widely. Certainly, you wouldn't listen or pay attention to troubled teachers such as Alan Watts or Chogyam Trungpa. But hey, if it sounds good and is agreeable...

Social games, popularity contests, mutual agreements to reach a consensus reality, validating each other's beliefs... People participate a lot in these.

Edited by MetaSage

26 minutes ago, MetaSage said:

@Jonas Long @WhiteOwl Sure. You think a teacher should be likeable and agreeable, to spoon-feed you lovey-dovey stuff that you much prefer over plain honesty (not saying it's necessarily the case, and it won't always be the case that someone is absolutely, deeply sincere. The point I'm making applies more widely), specifically when it fits your image of what a "teacher" should be and behave like. Certainly you wouldn't listen or pay attention to troubled teachers with addictions, such as Alan Watts, Nissargadatta or Chogyam Trunpa, would you? But hey, what they had to say sounded good and they were generally agreeable.

Clearly you aren't familiar with ruthless teaching approaches such as Rinzai zen, not would you be interested in seriously considering their reason for existing, as they wouldn't fit your expectations, preferences and worldviews. Let's just validate each other's spiritual beliefs. They sound good and it just sells better. This endeavour turns into social game of mutual agreement -- even a popularity contest, as if we could agree our way into a consensus reality.

Dunno where you got that about me tbh