The comic joke

It's a good topic. Sorry I didn't reply earlier to the topic itself.

Anyways, here are a few emails on the matter from 2017 between me and my teacher at the time, Ted. 

Me:

"Hi,

I was reading your Satsang "what happens when we die" and had another question, if you don't mind.

I wonder if a Jnani is only free for this current life? Meaning, the cycle of birth and death doesn't really end, because I'm awareness and it's awareness that keeps pumping out jivas and so long as that continues there will be identification as the ego slated for the next body grows and develops after birth. It all seems alittle pointless (Moksha), freedom from experience, if that knowledge is just for this lifetime?  Then again, all we are dealing with right now is this lifetime.

So, I guess the question is, we have to obtain Moksha in each new life? I know it won't be the same apparent person, but what's the point in Vedanta saying the cycle of birth and death will end, if it doesnt?

Thanks"

Ted:

"Hi, 

Your suspicions are correct. While Vedanta says that moksha confers freedom from birth and death, this emancipation is not a matter of a “soul” (or what Vedanta refers to as the sukshma sharira, or subtle body) gaining some state of freedom, but rather is the result of assimilating the understanding that the self is already free and, thus, has never been born in the first place and, such being the case, is not subject to an ultimate demise. Having gained self-knowledge, the jnani realizes that her true identity is not the person she seems to be, but rather limitless conscious existence, and hence “becomes” free from the cycle of birth and death. Thus, moksha can be viewed from two perspectives. From the perspective of the jiva, moksha applies only to the present incarnation. From the perspective of the self (though actually the self has no perspective due to its impersonality and all-pervasiveness), moksha is its nature and, thus, the whole issue is a moot point. The reason Vedanta says that self-knowledge ends the cycle of birth and death is because through self-inquiry, the truth of one’s eternal nature is revealed. And the virtue of gaining such knowledge is that it ends the jiva’s suffering within the context of the present incarnation.

Namaste,
Ted"

Me:

"Hi Ted,

Thank you for your quick reply. I don't know what the normal response is to realizing the info from the past email, but I find it very funny..

For whatever reason, as soon as you confirmed what I suspected I burst out laughing! And have been laughing on/off since.. Haha!

Nameste"

Ted:

" Hi, 

I’m glad you’re laughing. You get the great cosmic joke!

Namaste,

Ted"

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, Phil said:

The truth is you are never going to be happy because it simply, fundamentally & literally is not possible. You’re never going to be aware. You’re never going to be conscious. You’re never going to be awake. You will never actually be kind, selfless, loving, whole or good because it’s impossible. 

No I don't believe you.  Why? Why you will never going to be happy, aware, conscious, awake ? Why is this impossible?

On 11/27/2022 at 7:01 AM, Joseph Maynor said:

The cosmic joke fundamentally is believing that anyone knows your life better than you do and substituting their heresay for your truth.  Sure someone can be a light for you but you’ve got to grab that light yourself and walk a path inside of you to make anything out of it.  

Pretty sure thats not it.  Says something about you though...

I think the cosmic joke is you make all your own problems and suffer exactly as much as you desire to. Nothing really to with other people, except that however they "make" you feel is just however you, deep down, want to feel.  Something like that, i think.

11 hours ago, yeah right said:

Pretty sure thats not it.  Says something about you though...

I think the cosmic joke is you make all your own problems and suffer exactly as much as you desire to. Nothing really to with other people, except that however they "make" you feel is just however you, deep down, want to feel.  Something like that, i think.

yeah right. 

nobody wants to suffer, 

buddha said, 'life is suffering' 

(i dont have acosmic joke to share but i'm amused.

On 11/30/2022 at 7:33 AM, almond said:

(i dont have acosmic joke to share but i'm amused.

49 minutes ago, arjuna said:

Unconsciously, you DO want to suffer.  Otherwise you wouldnt.

On 11/30/2022 at 7:33 AM, almond said:

yeah right. 

That Steven Wright straight faced slowly kinda creep up from behind cosmic joke. 

Delicious.