Serotonin Hypothesis of Depression Debunked

9 hours ago, Sunrise said:

I like how you framed it. I’d add in lack of sleep. When I’m sleep deprived, it’s much harder to let crappy thoughts pass by. 

I've got two modes when I'm sleep deprived, either that one or I act like I'm high. 😆 I'll gladly miss sleep for something if I'm inspired enough. But I also make sleep a priority except for those certain occasions. 

Youtube Channel  

On 7/26/2022 at 7:52 AM, Indisguise said:

Maybe this is just the biologist in me speaking, but I'd love to see the neurological correlate to that. And why psychedelics, being serotonergic substances, have such an incredible effect on it. They reliably dissolve beliefs about oneself and life, but how? 

I think about neural correlates for depression like neural correlates for being a professional athlete. It neatly points out the problem of reductionism. Is depression one neurotransmitter, or is it the structural-functional organization of the whole organism?

Edited by Space4This