Is smoking what I want or don't want?

4 minutes ago, Orb said:

@Someone here I'm in a similar boat as you.

But imo, nicotine withdrawal is painless physically, the real "challenge" is the psychological aspect. 

I think being easy on yourself, taking solace in knowing that the withdrawal is really not a big deal (compared to meth, heroin, etc.), and simply knowing that one day you'll be ready to put the cigarettes out.

Well of course its not like heroin. But it's still pretty tough.  I'm trying to quit for 4 years now and I relapse on a weekly basis . 

It’s an addiction, plain and simple. Also what makes it hard for me is my friends and family members also smoke. 

I was with my brother and sister-in-law today and I swear that every moment they could they had a cigarette in their mouths or hands.

I don’t think there was anything going on there except them non-consciously trying to keep their nicotine levels precisely modulated.

@Someone here the addiction is 90% psychological, or in other words thought based. 

Just saying to consider feeling comforted by that fact. It's really not that bad. 

I'm addicted too, but deep down I know I can drop the vape whenever I want, sure there's some stubbornness going on, but really the only real symptoms would just be some tiredness and cravings. 

Also, if you're interested in being accountability partners I'd be down. 

May help to talk with someone who's also going through a similar issue who also wants to quit, rather than being surrounded by those who choose to keep smoking/vaping which is totally fine if they wanna do that. 

♾️

I heard that addictions like this affect the brain pleasure receptors, the drug interferes with our body's production of neurotransmitters, hence the craving when nicotine level drops. No wonder that reason and logic are swept aside by the primal force of craving for pleasure. A short term hit of feeling, or a sensible long term restraint? It's so easy to give in just one more time, isn't it! 

I used to smoke too, quite enjoyed it apart from the guilt of damaging my health, the smoker's cough, reduction of fitness and sense of taste and smell, and the cost. Cutting down didn't really help, I lacked the will power (this was before vaping). In the end I deconditioned myself by chain smoking till I felt sick and didn't want another one for a few days. 

But there must be plenty of ways to quit these days, if you do really want to. Good luck and take care. My mum offered to take me to the pathology dept of the hospital where she worked, to see all the specimens of dead smokers' bodies! In the end it wasn't necessary because I went to see Body_Worlds . I can't forget the sight of lungs full of tar and cancer ! 
https://bodyworlds.com/about/philosophy/  warning - not for the faint hearted! 

9 hours ago, Phil said:

@Someone here

Have you read this book from the recommendations thread yet?

Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

No I haven't.  I will look it up .

But before that I need to be clear about whether I want to quit or not . I enjoy the habit but it's obviously damaging my health.  I can't make up my mind if I want to continue smoking or not .

Because I've been smoking for 10 years now ..it is  spiralling out of control. I smoke few pack a week . And I'm already starting to feel the consequences. I have a burning sensation in my chest especially after eating food .I think my lungs are severely damaged.

So how do I make the decision to stop once and for all ?

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Of course. 

7 hours ago, Someone here said:

But before that I need to be clear about whether I want to quit or not .

Seems to me that you already are.

That is what that book is about, which you haven’t read yet. Maybe it will help you in exactly the way you are wanting to be helped. 

Maybe decide if you want to read the book or not, instead of if you want to quit or not. 

But with respect to what you’re asking… double check direct experience. See that is a thought, which like all thoughts appears and disappears, comes & goes. Thus the content of the thought, in it’s coming & going, is not absolutely true. Then try to see if it can be grasped that this is what a belief is… believing that a thought, is absolutely true. 

Create an expression journal. There, inevitably, will be the release, the peace and the change desired. 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Before achieving any goal..you have to first set the goal and decide what you gonna do .

Same for that, if interested. 

On 7/14/2022 at 7:52 AM, Someone here said:

I enjoy the habit 

So how do I make the decision to stop once and for all ?

What's the important thing: enjoyment or smoking?

There's thousands of ways to experience enjoyment, only a few ways to smoke. Contemplate on all the resources you put into your smoking: money, time (including in your reduced life expectancy), reduced health. You can get just as much pleasure by swapping smoking for something else, something fun, creative, adventurous and exciting. Use the money you'll save and start a new sport, hobby, holidays or even self-development. The first few months may not be easy till you've healed the addiction, but if you occupy yourself with a full life, and have other ways to deal with stress and anxiety, I reckon you'll never look back. 

Edited by Links

Hi all,

As far as the heart attack issue. Smoking actually can elevate the LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol in your blood and decrease HDL, or “healthy,” cholesterol, high cholesterol levels in your blood can lead to a buildup of plaque in your arteries, causing them to become narrower. Also, the chemicals in smoking contaminate the blood and these chemicals can damage your heart and blood vessels, which can lead to cardiovascular disease as well.

Now, aside from that, smoking is a very strong addiction. One that I had for decades. Usually I would ignore the health risks, including cancer. I loved to smoke soooo much that I didn't care or so I thought, which now that I quit (cold turkey) 5 years ago. I can say that what loved to smoke was the addiction.  I can remember that I loved it, but nowadays, I barely ever even remembering smoking even exists tbh. Something I would have never thought. My sister lives out of state and still smokes. She says it was a "miracle" I was able to quit. No, not a miracle. I just quit cold turkey and vowed to never smoke again. For no reason, ever, not one cigarette. I knew I couldn't allow not even one, because that's how my attempts prior failed. 

* Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking. Read it!

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

I think one of the keys for understanding addiction is you wouldn't do it if it didn't enhance your life on some level.  You're not stupid.  People don't notice the benefits they receive via their addictions.  So, when you stop doing an addiction, it's like breaking up with an old friend.  It's best to think about it in this way.  It's very similar to a relationship breakup.  You have to find a way to go no contact basically.  And this is not easy.  It's the opposite of easy.  In a similar way you might stay in a toxic relationship for many years before you muster together at the right place and time the courage to break the relationship off.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor  You tend to revisit and read years' old posts here in this forum.. then think about it, and comment on them.. right?!

Very interesting 🙂

I was beginning to reply to this post about smoking, and realized that it was old and it came up because of your comment probably. Those who would read these later might benefit, so I am not complaining.