Trip to India and spirituality?

@Joseph Maynor You have a point. If people are up for the challenge, go for it. 

Like we talked about earlier, India a country of paradoxes. I've met many travelers who've hated India. One was said INDIA stood for I'll Never Do it Again! I met these British teens on their gap year and they spent a weekend in Mumbai and hated it. "There were people pooing on the railway tracks! they said. The Golden Triangle is a full-on chaotic experience. I've thought India as kinda like the Graduate School of Backpacking. I'd never recommend a person new to traveling to start off in India. I recommend Thailand or Nepal first and work up to it. I have a philosophy when traveling of mixing easy countries with hard countries. If you only do hard countries you can get tired and fagged out by it all. India is a hard country. Although not as hard as it used to be. 

If you go to the very north and south, you'll likely have an easier time. They are also beautiful states. In the north, there are the HImalayas. In the South, beautiful coconut beaches, temples, food, and the people are more chill.  In the Golden Triangle is where you're very likely to encounter scams, touts, lethal air pollution, and unfriendliness. They are waiting for people new to India. You got targeted in Delhi by the official tourist office scam.

I knew these two British bacpackers. They asked me if I was scared traveling alone. I thought it a strange question. Like why would I be? They'd been targeted at the airport.  The two young British backpackers  were tired after getting off the plane, they were approached and asked if they needed a cab. Since they did, and were tired from their flight, they took the easy way and just went with the man. The driver supposedly called their Guesthouse on his phone and the driver said the Guesthouse was closed. Not to worry, the helpful taxi driver had another good guesthouse he recommended. Then the friendly taxi driver took the lads to an official (not really...) India travel agency who confirmed that there was rioting in New Delhi and the best thing was to book a pricey car and driver tour package and get out of Delhi. All lies, golden oldies really, but still they work, evidently. The real Guesthouse called their home number in the UK and asked why didn't they show up. Their second mistake was not going to the Prepaid Taxi booth. Their first mistake was not reading up on scams and basic information useful upon arrival. When I met them they were scared.  They gave off energy like a badly beaten dog. They were scared to eat out and scared to walk the streets. They'd been told by their agency that it was too dangerous for them to go out alone and to call their cab friend and he would take care of them.

In truth it was ridiculous. They were relieved that I went with them walking although they were two young British guys. We walked down a perfectly safe street in the daylight to a restaurant that I had enjoyed earlier and had a great meal. I hope I educated them that they were safe and their agency and cabbie had lied to them.

I"m glad that you walked around Delhi Joseph. 

My advice is to avoid the unpleasantness all together by flying in to the North or South or save it near the end of one's trip when you are more likely to be used to Indian craziness. I contend that even if you're not harassed by anyone doing the Golden Triangle, if you do not fall into any scams, and you deal with any issues no big deal -- I still contend even with no issues -- doing the South or North you still might enjoy it better. Because the South and North Rock. Delhi, Jaipur, and Agra -- not so much. 

My last India trip I flew into Bangalore. I took airport bus, walked to my hotel. No issues. No touts. No scammers. The next day I went to this great famous little coffee and snack shop. I asked for an English menu, but there was none. But the owner explained and I ordered some of everything. It was super delicious. The food I'd never heard of before or seen but it was like Nirvana. OMG. It was like that cafe scene with Meg Ryan in WHen Harry Met Sally.  Seriously, you'd have what's Wolf's having! At the end, the owner refused to take my money. I insisted he take some money to give to temple next time he went. 

I keep my head on a swivel when I go through Parhanganj. I'm not usually targetted because I look like an India Bum. I walk as if I know where I'm going (I do, mostly.). Although once near the train station, I had a guy tell me the train tourist office was closed. I laughed. "Does this still work? I heard this fifteen years ago this is like a golden-oldie" The guy wagged his head, smiled, and said "Sometimes." I told him I wished he'd get a better job. 

Still I love India. The food, chai, and trains are arguably the best in the world. India has a high degree of English proficiency. It's a lot easier to make an Indian friend than say a Thai one (although Thais are friendly ... they still keep a distance). 

Edited by Aware Wolf

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” ― The Buddha