The emotional scale is fundamentally flawed.

Blessed2

Example of how I would go about using the scale.

*headphones on* *music on*Letting go of caring how this sounds or what sense it makes to anyone else.

Seems like there's so much going on. Last night at 2AM I got woken up by a red fox in front of the house screaming. It's one of those primal sounds, and made me think that that's exactly why people used to believe in witches, by getting woken up in the middle of the night by an unearthly sound that sounds just like a human female screaming and loitering outside your home. The spring peepers are also one of the most unearthly sounds, like the vibration could carry you off to another place and reaches your very core. 

I'd like to tell you so much, I'd like to show you so much but it's like something is hollow at the core. I could describe it as being rotten, but there's nothing there, and the essence of it is what we call soul. Absence is the presence of the false notion of the absence of some thing. I feel unappreciated and unseen and there's no power in that. It's disappointing. (Felt something move, tears well up) 

Now I'm gonna look at the scale. 

K, I'm in overwhelm and disappointment. 

That makes total utter sense for how I've felt in the past hour. It feels like I don't have time for this forum, I don't have time for this bullshit, and everyone's bullshit, even my own bullshit right now. I shouldn't be journaling right now. How fucking self indulgent. I don't know what I should be doing instead, there's so much, i don't want to do any of it. I don't even have enough length of cord for my headphones to be comfortable because they are wrapped around the office chair desk. The timer is going off. I have to go get my tea. 

Looks at the scale. 

Husband brought me my tea without my asking, I didn't even have to get it myself. 

Alright Source, you just bring me what I want. I do nothing, we're good. 

He could have put an ice cube in it for me though, that's irritating. 

What's the difference between tea parties and pity parties? I seem to get them confused, make them a theme while journaling. I'M SICK OF PLAYING SMALL. I'm SICK OF THROWING RESISTANCE on my own trail. 

No one is gonna appreciate this./ it's a waste of time. I'm silly for trying to make others happy, for making their lives better. I should focus on my ...

(upstream, not downstream.) Feeling worse. Refocusing.  

Pessimism seems an ok place to stop for now. Because journaling through boredom usually doesn't work, you stop at that point. 

Youtube Channel  

9 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

Okay thanks I'll try that.

Yeah, think of the journaling or expressing in whatever way freely the driving and the scale is the map, you refer to it quickly when you have a question, a curiosity, or want to reorient yourself. You don't tape the map over the windshield of your car. 

Youtube Channel  

So after having written out all that, there's clarity and understanding that I was experiencing disappointment and overwhelm, kinda stuck bouncing back and forth between them like a ping pong ball. It feels much more relieving to see that it was part of the emotional journey and not how things objectively WERE. It felt when I was caught in the thoughts like I needed to make a decision, like there was this either or choice in front of me that felt really off, it seemed like someTHING was wrong and I needed to do something about it or rid myself of it somehow but that felt even worse. I see now that I can and am do what I want to do, there's nothing I need do. 

Youtube Channel  

36 minutes ago, Mandy said:

Example of how I would go about using the scale.

*headphones on* *music on*Letting go of caring how this sounds or what sense it makes to anyone else.

Seems like there's so much going on. Last night at 2AM I got woken up by a red fox in front of the house screaming. It's one of those primal sounds, and made me think that that's exactly why people used to believe in witches, by getting woken up in the middle of the night by an unearthly sound that sounds just like a human female screaming and loitering outside your home. The spring peepers are also one of the most unearthly sounds, like the vibration could carry you off to another place and reaches your very core. 

I'd like to tell you so much, I'd like to show you so much but it's like something is hollow at the core. I could describe it as being rotten, but there's nothing there, and the essence of it is what we call soul. Absence is the presence of the false notion of the absence of some thing. I feel unappreciated and unseen and there's no power in that. It's disappointing. (Felt something move, tears well up) 

Now I'm gonna look at the scale. 

K, I'm in overwhelm and disappointment. 

That makes total utter sense for how I've felt in the past hour. It feels like I don't have time for this forum, I don't have time for this bullshit, and everyone's bullshit, even my own bullshit right now. I shouldn't be journaling right now. How fucking self indulgent. I don't know what I should be doing instead, there's so much, i don't want to do any of it. I don't even have enough length of cord for my headphones to be comfortable because they are wrapped around the office chair desk. The timer is going off. I have to go get my tea. 

Looks at the scale. 

Husband brought me my tea without my asking, I didn't even have to get it myself. 

Alright Source, you just bring me what I want. I do nothing, we're good. 

He could have put an ice cube in it for me though, that's irritating. 

What's the difference between tea parties and pity parties? I seem to get them confused, make them a theme while journaling. I'M SICK OF PLAYING SMALL. I'm SICK OF THROWING RESISTANCE on my own trail. 

No one is gonna appreciate this./ it's a waste of time. I'm silly for trying to make others happy, for making their lives better. I should focus on my ...

(upstream, not downstream.) Feeling worse. Refocusing.  

Pessimism seems an ok place to stop for now. Because journaling through boredom usually doesn't work, you stop at that point. 

This is exactly how the scale is not supposed to be done according to the advice I've heard and what is shared on this forum.

There must be an effortless way.

I first journaled and then did the scale, which looks like this:

I am experiencing the emotion doubt.

I am experiencing the emotion disappointment.

I am experiencing the emotion hatred/rage.

I am experiencing the emotion anger.

I am experiencing the emotion discouragement.

I am experiencing the emotion blame.

I am experiencing the emotion powerlessness.

I am experiencing the emotion fear.

I am experiencing ghe emotion insecurity.

I am experiencing the emotion jealousy.

I am experiencing the emotion rage.

I am experiencing the emotion worry.

I am experiencing the emotion despair.

I am experiencing the emotion insecurity.

I am experiencing the emotion hate.

And then stopped even though you're not supposed to do that. But it's impossible.

Edited by Blessed2

1 hour ago, Blessed2 said:

Okay.

I am experiencing the emotion hatred.

I am experiencing the emotion overwhelment.

I am experiencing the emotion frustration.

I am experiencing the emotion pessimism.

I am experiencing the emotion boredom.

I am experiencing the emotion contentment.

I am experiencing the emotion hopefulness.

I am experiencing the emotion optimism.

I am experiencing the emotion positive expectation.

I am experiencing the emotion happiness.

I am experiencing the emotion passion.

I am experiencing the emotion joy.

That good enough? Is this how it's done?

All that matters is (so to speak) how you feel. If you aren’t feeling discord, then yes, the discordant thought or perspective was expressed / let go / released. It’s not about doing it right, if it’s good enough or even about how it’s done. It’s about the true nature being unburdened / unfettered by discordant thoughts / beliefs / perspectives.  

it also comes to mind… happiness doesn’t come from experience. Happiness is reality, the default. Whenever there is an experience of unhappiness, a reason is held. I mean this about direct experience, not conceptualizations. Like, ‘well if I was x, y or z there wouldn’t be happiness’. <- that thought would be met by an emotion.

59 minutes ago, almond said:

Do we have to write it down?

No. There’s no must’s, should’s, have to’s, etc.

It can be insightful & clarifying to see thoughts but it’s not required or necessary. 

The using of the scale… the ‘effects’ of using the scale don’t per se ‘become’ second nature…. And aren’t really ‘effects’… but are an uncover the true nature. So from using the scale, the ‘raising of vibration’, it does just ‘click’ and happens automatically. Scale no longer serves Happiness. 

Occasionally stuff will come up that literally burns. It's not at all like hand on the stove burn, it's not the feeling of going upstream, it's very much downstream, letting go, it's like a refining fire, burning away the straw and leaving just the gold, burning. 

7 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

This is exactly how the scale is not supposed to be done according to the advice I've heard and what is shared on this forum.

I don't do anything like I'm told to, because usually what I've been told is some illusory self imposed limitation. Or something that worked for someone else. For God's sake take this into your own hands. YOU know by how it feels. Take your power back. There are no such limitations or exclusions. Rebellion is where it's at, but you know by how it burns whether it seems that there's even something separate there to rebel from, or if no such imposition of rules is really there. 

Youtube Channel  

5 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

I first journaled and then did the scale, which looks like this:

I am experiencing the emotion hatred/rage.

I am experiencing the emotion powerlessness.

I am experiencing ghe emotion insecurity.

I am experiencing the emotion hate.

And then stopped even though you're not supposed to do that. But it's impossible.

About half of those emotions I didn't actually even experience. For example at some point it jumped straight from despair to rage. But according to the advice you're not supposed to skip any. So you just gotta write it nonetheless or something. I don't know, it's confusing.

9 minutes ago, Mandy said:

You expressed NOTHING there, you just copied the scale.

Yes because I don't know how to fucking express (except use the word "fuck" between every other word).

The advice says "express emotion". ????

8 minutes ago, Mandy said:

For God's sake take this into your own hands. YOU know by how it feels. Take your power back. There are no such limitations or exclusions. Rebellion is where it's at, but you know by how it burns whether it seems that there's even something separate there to rebel from, or if no such imposition of rules is really there.

This is kinda what I'm doing with this thread.

1 minute ago, Blessed2 said:

Yes because I don't know how to fucking express (except use the word "fuck" between every other word).

The advice says "express emotion". ????

FUCKING UTILIZE THE WORD FUCK THEN! Fuck the emotional scale, in with the word fuck! The nondual implications of the word fuck are fucking breathtaking! Fuck advice. 

Youtube Channel  

14 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

About half of those emotions I didn't actually even experience. For example at some point it jumped straight from despair to rage. But according to the advice you're not supposed to skip any. So you just gotta write it nonetheless or something. I don't know, it's confusing.

It's not like reciting the alphabet. You don't just go through the emotions because it's all about the intent. MOTIONS I meant to write motions, "you go through the motions" not emotions. lol Silly E. Such a character that letter is. 

Esther doesn't even refer to the emotional scale hardly as much anymore, she pretty much just uses upstream/downstream. 

I WONDER WHY. *cough cough* threads like this. 

8 minutes ago, Blessed2 said:

This is kinda what I'm doing with this thread.

Yup. 

Youtube Channel  

The message is, it's for you. It's not imposed upon you. It's not some truth or orders from above. It's for you. Come as you are. Emotional scale be about unconditional self acceptance. How badass is it that REVENGE is a legit emotion? That hatred and revenge don't make you a bad person but are emotional guidance. Is that not the best, most liberating fucking thing ever? 

Youtube Channel  

@Phili think a lot of people experience negative emotions at one time or another.. not everyone can live a completely positive life. Even when u are a very positive person.. its human nature to feel negative if something bad happens. It depends how u manage that negativity that defines the outcome. I would only describe it as a flaw if it is a constant way of seeing things.. or it could be depression.

@Blessed2 Negative emotions are not “flaws” but simply normal parts of the human mind. They do serve a purpose.

for example..feeling angry when things don’t go your way provides motivation to improve your life and do things right. Some emotions may be symptoms of psychological issues like depression, but the emotions themselves are not the psychological issues. They’re just part of life.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Are emotions experienced ‘at one time or another’ though, really?

Yes they are .and they happen on a daily basis or weekly basis or even monthly basis ..depending on how great or shitty your life is .

Not sure what is it that is not understandable in saying "one time or another "..I'm just saying every once in a while you just happen to have a crappy day or or crappy situation. That's just life being life. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Likewise, are there really positive & negative emotions, positive & negative people…?

I mean… do you really know that?

Yea of course.   negative emotions are like sadness or anger. Positive emotions like excitement and cheerfulness. Rtc

For me personally..I'm less prone to feeling negative emotions than most people. My main posture towards bad things is “shit happens” and I move on. This is, for the most part, good. However.. I am less prone to feel empathy for people with problems that.. to me..are insignificant.

Negative emotions are guidance as you say . The guidance of feeling..it Hurts in order to signal that we have moved from where we are to a worse place. And that we need to take our wellbeing more seriously. 

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Yes they are .and they happen on a daily basis or weekly basis or even monthly basis ..depending on how great or shitty your life is .

Not sure what is it that is not understandable in saying "one time or another "..I'm just saying every once in a while you just happen to have a crappy day or or crappy situation. That's just life being life. 

I hear ya, but I think it’s worth considering that feeling (and therein emotion) is only experienced presently. That has a lot to do with the absence of the experience of what’s referred to as negative emotions. That is the ‘message’ or guidance of say worry, pessimism, powerlessness, etc most often. Maybe even always. 

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Yea of course.   negative emotions are like sadness or anger. Positive emotions like excitement and cheerfulness. Rtc

But how do you know there is negative? There’s no evidence or proof, no one’s ever seen negative.

Also, isn’t it accurate that the way sadness and anger persist or continue to be experienced is via the labelling of / as ‘negative’, and the attributing of what’s felt to life (as the cause). What if there’s no assertion and it’s just how what I’m thinkin feels? What if life is utterly without condition?