What causes depression?

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Phil

You "need" in case you want me to understand your point properly. In case you don't care about that ..then you don't need. 

We clear now ? Mostly because spiritual people don't value appearing intentionally ignorant.For some reason it is fashionable in the new age gurus  to try  to sound intelligent and cryptic. 

I'm having a problem with your style of communication. and please don't take this as offence..but I guess that's the reason Leo Gura banned you from his forum 

You either play zen koans and riddles..or  use big words and string them together in sophisticated ways because that's what's required to do hard thinking.

I think appearing smart and overly subtle and ambiguous isn't what it's cracked up to be.

How’s this related to depression? Are you saying if all of those conditions were met & Phil was how you expect him to be, then there would be happiness?

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

How’s this related to depression?

It's not related. You asked why I used the word "need" in my last post and I tried to explain to you why you need to stop playing these games and cut to the point. 

What I do wish you try to do comes in the form of translating complex ideas and conclusions into commonly understandable language that we regular folks can comprehend. 

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

Are you saying if all of those conditions were met & Phil was how you expect him to be, then there would be happiness?

I didn't say I'm depressed or unhappy. I said I was depressed during the COVID quarantine because I hate isolation and I like to walk around in nature under the sun.

Science and psychology tell us that depression is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. So I was asking if there are other causes that are NOT physiological. That's all. 

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

It's not related. You asked why I used the word "need" in my last post and I tried to explain to you why you need to stop playing these games and cut to the point. 

What I do wish you try to do comes in the form of translating complex ideas and conclusions into commonly understandable language that we regular folks can comprehend. 

I didn't say I'm depressed or unhappy. I said I was depressed during the COVID quarantine because I hate isolation and I like to walk around in nature under the sun.

Science and psychology tell us that depression is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. So I was asking if there are other causes that are NOT physiological. That's all. 

Ok. 

11 hours ago, MetaSage said:

So the original query isn't being addressed, instead airy-fairy "non dual" games are being played which isn't useful to others.

Nothing really ‘wrong’ per se with judgement, but if you have anything to contribute or any questions about what’s been said feel free. 👊🏼 

Not quite sure what ‘airy-fairy non dual games’ means, but I’m sure depression isn’t experienced by others. 

That’s like saying depression has a cause, or happiness is playing games. 

What is the experience commonly called depression about?

It's best if the answer is grounded on something that another can relate to. You can't tell a deaf person to hear. I mean you can, but it won't make a difference. 

Depression is felt when you start holding an image of the future that is negative. I could have asked something akin to: Where's the "I" that is experiencing the emotion? However, I don't see that being very useful considering where the person's question is coming from.

Hopefully something of what I tried to express will come across. 🙂 

Edited by MetaSage

2 hours ago, MetaSage said:

What is the experience commonly called depression about?

Separate selves. 

It's best if the answer is grounded on something that another can relate to. 

That’s more of the same. 

You can't tell a deaf person to hear. I mean you can, but it won't make a difference. 

Yes, that’s ridiculous. 

my assessment was that depression is felt when you start to holding an image of the future that is negative.

Not sure that’s really an “assessment”. Seems more like repeating what was already said…

On 1/23/2023 at 7:58 AM, Someone here said:

negative thinking causes depression.

I could have asked something akin to where's the I that is experiencing the emotion? but frankly I don't see that being very useful considering where a person is coming from.

Where’s a person coming from?

I know I haven't expressed myself as clearly as I could but hopefully something will come across. 🙂 

Maybe there aren’t three of you…?

15 minutes ago, MetaSage said:

@Phil Ok, thanks, but I don't really get it. 

It feels as if someone were asking you how to make an omelette and you told her that eggs are an illusion lol

It’s more like someone saying they are an omelette. 

9 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Phil what is depression to you? A rough estimate. 

And what causes it (if any)? 

Conceptualization. 

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Conceptualization. 

How? And why? What does concepts and beliefs have to do with a mental disorder? I expect a detailed explanation. Because if you ask any doctor they will tell you it's the brain running out of certain neurotransmitters. I mean that's why antidepressants work to relieve the depression. 

thinking and thoughts gets blamed way too often. It's how we respond to our natural negative thoughts that may determine more how things turn out.

But the assumption that it is merely thoughts that cause mental anguish really undermines that the individual has probably gone through massive external stress and abuse in their life. It undermines the society in which the person lives. It undermines the person's experiences in life. Etc 

11 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I expect a detailed explanation.

I'm sorry, but this just sounds so utterly entitled. Phil pays the entirety of the large monthly bill of hosting this place, he patiently and whole-heartedly answers questions, makes videos, hosts Zoom meetings to answer questions in person, what makes you think you're entitled to speak to him, or ANYONE else you interact with on the internet for that matter, that way? 

Youtube Channel  

21 minutes ago, MetaSage said:

Like your brevity, but could you specify a bit more?

Beliefs. 

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

How?

Believing thoughts. 

And why?

The belief in understanding. 

What does concepts and beliefs have to do with a mental disorder?

Depression isn’t a mental disorder. That’d be two conceptualizations. 

I expect a detailed explanation. Because if you ask any doctor they will tell you it's the brain running out of certain neurotransmitters. I mean that's why antidepressants work to relieve the depression. 

I’ve asked my primary doctor & a wholistic doctor, and that isn’t what they said.  So it can’t be true that if you ask any doctor they will tell you that. 

thinking and thoughts gets blamed way too often.

Blame is an emotion. Emotion is guidance for thoughts. Blaming thinking and thoughts is nonsensical. 

It's how we respond to our natural negative thoughts that may determine more how things turn out.

There’s no such thing as natural negative thoughts. That’s a conceptualization as well. A judgmental ‘thought about thoughts’, as if the implied “other thought” actually exists. 

But the assumption that it is merely thoughts that cause mental anguish really undermines that the individual has probably gone through massive external stress and abuse in their life. It undermines the society in which the person lives. It undermines the person's experiences in life. Etc 

Thoughts don’t cause depression. 

2 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I'm sorry, but this just sounds so utterly entitled. Phil pays the entirety of the large monthly bill of hosting this place, he patiently and whole-heartedly answers questions, makes videos, hosts Zoom meetings to answer questions in person, what makes you think you're entitled to speak to him, or ANYONE else you interact with on the internet for that matter, that way? 

I don't feel entitled, so I wake up every day glad for what I have. Anything more that comes my way is a cause for celebration. And when something bad happens, it's just life being life.

As for Phil.. And this specific thread.. He tends to give short little nuggets of answers instead of full explanations. So it frustrates me when I ask a deep question and then I get a one liner.