Is there a limit to how good you can feel?

Someone here

8 hours ago, Someone here said:

Do you think there is a limit to feeling good ?

I think that limit should be high. It definitely reachable through drugs. If you take heroine and eat a lot of chocolate I heard it makes you feel good.

The kind of good feeling I like is similar to love. When you love a game, a friend and you get deeply interested about it. You research all the addons for that game and try to perfect your play and so on and so on. This is the kind of thing that would make me feel good and happy. If you are talking about this feeling good then I don't think it I has a limit - only if you get tired or go to sleep or you end up failing badly. Not sure. The point would be to be able to try again without much hesitation. 

Yeah and I agree that feeling good doesn't necessary mean you are experiencing good emotions all the time. 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Then what you’re saying here isn’t actually based on direct experience. Which of course is fine, not meant as judgement. 

If not direct experience though, where did this view or understanding if we can call it that, come from?

It  comes from an experience of lack (please don't get critical about this or try to refute it ..I know myself better than anyone else)

Because I feel lack . I feel that my life isn't perfect .

I took me my entire childhood to realise this.

I remember when I was in school I always used to get 2nd or 3rd rank but never 1st.

I used to be frustrated upon this.

I always used to pray for the 1st rank. At last, in class 12th, I got the thing I wanted. But I was not that happy.

It was like the

Goal achieved becomes equivalent to Goal changed.

I understood one thing

Happiness comes from your surrounding things or happenings. Your happiness depends on how much you achieved. 

However..I noticed the more you get the more you want . There are few people who reach pinnacles of success and think: oh whew I made it … now I'm happy … I'll be happy forever. Very few people get everything they want all at once. The real magic to being happy is to find yourself enjoying your life right where you are. And honestly..I'm not enjoying my life to the fullest at the moment. Why?  Because like I said I believe that I need to achieve stuff first .

And BTW you ignored my question about how to define happiness..because I think it varies from one person to another.  What it takes for me to be happy might not be what it takes for you. 

4 hours ago, Someone here said:

That doesn't help me clarify my question.

It does if you actually listen for once.

What exactly that makes thought not reflective of the truth ?

Have you ever believed something and later noticed it wasn't true?

It seemed true but was just a thought all along.

I don't understand why thoughts are demonised in this community. 

Not demonized, just seen for what it is.

Without thoughts you will die lol. Imagine walking by the high way Without giving it thought as to when exactly you should walk..which is obviously after all the cars have passed .

This is an unexamined assumption.

Try this: find any thing you think is true, but what you wouldn't want to be true. Write it on a piece of paper inside "apostrophes". Leave it with the intent that God will show you it was just a belief.

Start with something easy, something you think is true about life and the world. Like what you wrote above. 

I don’t think it is wrong to do something that makes you feel good, as long as we are honest with ourselves for the reasons we are doing it. For example, I like watching movies. This is not a necessity to life, but I enjoy it. This is just an indulgent and I need to see it as such. Now that I am aware that this is just an indulgent and not a necessity, I can find happiness with watching a movie or with not watching a movie. We only NEED those things which are necessities. Therefore, we are easily able to let go of the things we don’t need at a moments .

Who said it was wrong? What does this have to do with this thread?

There must be an effortless way.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

What if there was no life purpose or achiever?

You tell me 😅 . What then?

Inwas going to write some long-winded answer about ‘the deep-rooted nature of conditioned mental patterns’ etc, but then I realised that all that is bullshit and doesn’t actually answer the question. 

The only reason that i haven’t seen through the self is because i really don’t want to. Even if i think that I do, and tell myself that i do, and do three hours of headstand meditation everyday (like that would help), i don’t want to dissolve my self because if i did, it would happen in an instant. It is the easiest thing in the world to simply cease puttig energy into your own inner narrative. So easy, in fact, that it can’t even be taught, much like blinking or smiling.😂

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

and do three hours of headstand meditation everyday

I couldn't do that if my life depended on it. 😂

Anyways, your question reminds me of the saying "chasing the dragon", basically usually ppl addicted to drugs  continuously chase getting as high as they did the very first time, but to no eval as it seems as though impossible to get it or so I hear. 

Also, reminds me of eating a fabulous piece of cake, so then you eat another and maybe another and as you keep eating it actually stops tasting good and starts tasting gross.  😝 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

2 hours ago, Faith said:

I couldn't do that if my life depended on it. 😂

Anyways, your question reminds me of the saying "chasing the dragon", basically usually ppl addicted to drugs  continuously chase getting as high as they did the very first time, but to no eval as it seems as though impossible to get it or so I hear. 

Also, reminds me of eating a fabulous piece of cake, so then you eat another and maybe another and as you keep eating it actually stops tasting good and starts tasting gross.  😝 

Exactly 💯.  If I eat too much candy it's gonna make me want to throw up. 

The last time that happened to me, I was also in one of those states that allowed me to feel both at the same time. My awareness was sharp enough at the time to be able to see how pain and pleasure, agony and bliss, were two sides of the same coin. There was no "feel more", I was experiencing the experience, as is, without trying to block one without the other. It was terrifying and beautiful.

This happened under special circumstances, and I have been since slowly getting to where I can experience things without those kinds of filters in ordinary, day-to-day life.

I hate pain . If I stub my toe or step on a piece of lego, you’ll hear me bitch for hours. I broke my leg in January and haven’t stopped complaining since. I hate being in pain.

P.S  you look great 👍 

Edited by Someone here

@Someone here Yeah, I just remembered another example. When I use to smoke the first hit of a cigarette of the day was great, but if I sat there and smoked one cigarette after another there would come a point where it would make me ill. 

So, I guess too much of a good thing or in this case a bad thing, lol, is no good.

9 hours ago, Someone here said:

P.S  you look great 👍 

Hey thanks! 

You're a thought. Do you think a thought is going to occupy 'no thought'.

The 'changeless' can be realized only when the 
ever-changing thought-flow stops.

14 hours ago, Someone here said:

You tell me 😅 .

😂 

What then?

Happiness. 

Inwas going to write some long-winded answer about ‘the deep-rooted nature of conditioned mental patterns’ etc, but then I realised that all that is bullshit and doesn’t actually answer the question. 

The only reason that i haven’t seen through the self is because i really don’t want to. Even if i think that I do, and tell myself that i do, and do three hours of headstand meditation everyday (like that would help), i don’t want to dissolve my self because if i did, it would happen in an instant. It is the easiest thing in the world to simply cease puttig energy into your own inner narrative. So easy, in fact, that it can’t even be taught, much like blinking or smiling.😂

Direct experience? 

Striving towards an ideal in the future = the Masculine
Acceptance of what is here right now = the Feminine

Balance/work with both wisely and you'll have a kind of deep inner peace no matter what happens.

Also, balance/work with the relative with the Absolute.  Of course you want a kind of happiness on the relative human level.  But realize too that the Absolute (the Self/the Whole of what exists) is what it is regardless of what your small self wants and learn to make peace with what happens with no regrets.  You can think about it like this -- envision improvement with your ideas and visualizations AND accept what actually happens too without regrets.  You can walk and chew gum at the same time regarding this.  Resolve vs./and accept.  Striving towards an ideal in the future = the Masculine.  Acceptance of what is here right now = the Feminine.  Balance/work with both wisely and you'll have a kind of deep inner peace no matter what happens.  Also, balance/work with the relative with the Absolute.  Of course you want a kind of happiness on the relative human level.  But realize too that the absolute (the Self/the Whole of what exists) is what it is regardless of what your small self wants and learn to make peace with what happens with no regrets.  You can think about it like this -- envision improvement with your ideas and visualizations AND accept what actually happens too without regrets.  You can walk and chew gum at the same time regarding this.  Resolve vs./and accept.  Notice the vs./and -- it's a paradox!

Edited by Joseph Maynor